SubDs and Polys out of Whack

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2009   #1
SubDs and Polys out of Whack

Just started messing around with SubDs today and have been tweaking verts on a scorpion carapace. I began with a poly cage but after getting the basic form down I went to standard mode to sculpt the details. Now I want to begin bringing out the forelegs/pincer arms and I find the polys got left behind. How can I go about bringing the poly cage back in line with the subD shape so I can start extruding the intersegmental membranes and leg segments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem-carapaceOutOfProportions.jpg (48.9 KB, 34 views)

Old 04 April 2009   #2
subdividing your cage is pretty much your only option.. your cage doesn't have enough geometry to support the subd details.

As a side note- why extrude directly from the carapice for the legs and whatnot, you could easily get away with just modeling them separately on a semi-hard organic surface like a scorpion

Old 05 May 2009   #3
I just went ahead and started it over. It's not that much work and I can always use the practice. I tried sudividing the cage and it went all out of whack. But it's a lesson learned.

I will definitely do the tail and legs separately now. cheers!

Old 05 May 2009   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread