New Article on Lonerobot.com - Automating Photoshop with DotNet and Com Interop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2009   #1
New Article on Lonerobot.com - Automating Photoshop with DotNet and Com Interop

Hello Peeps,

A while back there was this post about whether it is possible to save out multiple render passes from 3dsMax into PSD format. It got me thinking and after a bit of research I came up with the following information -

hope you find it useful!

Read my technical blog - lonerobot.net

Last edited by LoneRobot : 05 May 2009 at 09:40 AM.

Old 04 April 2009   #2
Very useful! You have my thanks sir

Old 04 April 2009   #3
Pete, that is fantastic, I don't know how you get the time to do all this but thanks for finding the time.

Old 04 April 2009   #4
Hi Paul, Marco!

thanks a lot, you're welcome.

As for finding time, I just do it while everyone else sleeps. I'm getting married in three months, I'm supposed to be planning that, not geeking around! EeeeeK!!!

Old 04 April 2009   #5
Why are you calling eek? :-P

Thanks for the document. It's fully understable even by a beginner like me! Thanks for sharing your knowledge (and your sleeping hours) with us

And congrats on the wedding!

Old 04 April 2009   #6
Originally Posted by IkerCLoN: Why are you calling eek? :-P

i'd like to point out, i'm not getting married to Charles L.

cheers Iker!

Old 04 April 2009   #7
dude this is sweet! COM stuff in .NET is a big deal!

is there a way to do the same sort of thing via maxscript without using visual studio and the whole 'add reference' thing?

Old 04 April 2009   #8
Originally Posted by Gravey: is there a way to do the same sort of thing via maxscript without using visual studio and the whole 'add reference' thing?

Hey Joel,

Im sure you can build an interop assembly without visual studio if that's what you meant, but If you mean actually using the COM object without a wrapper assembly then im not sure. It's something I've been looking into for a while, as I used a COM assembly with the work I did on getting the 3dsmax file thumbnail via Dotnet. I'm not 100% exactly how max does things sometimes with DotNet!

I talked briefly about this in the article, but you can only get so far with using the COM assembly in max. With both times i tried, at some stage max returns "system._COMobject" when instantiating a class, instead of the object i was expecting (in this case a photoshop document) I couldn't find a workaround unfortunately. If anyone else has an idea what is going on with this I'd be eternally grateful!

Old 04 April 2009   #9
Originally Posted by LoneRobot: Hi Paul, Marco!

thanks a lot, you're welcome.

As for finding time, I just do it while everyone else sleeps. I'm getting married in three months, I'm supposed to be planning that, not geeking around! EeeeeK!!!

Congrats mate!!

Old 04 April 2009   #10
thanks marco! She is aware of my geekery too, and still wants to get married!

Old 04 April 2009   #11
Congrats Pete, no wonder you have time, no wife, no kids, that takes up half of every day for me.

Old 04 April 2009   #12
ha ha! I can believe it! Looks like i'll have to get a few articles in quick!

Old 04 April 2009   #13
See that's why my website is lacking severely, the last years
Happily married, 2 kids and one more on the way and a regular demanding day job. I still have a tutorial in the pen for reusing a extensible tool framework I use a lot. But stuff like that takes so much time. When it's half past eleven it's lights out for me... and I'm like 30...

So, goodnight

-Johan

Old 04 April 2009   #14
Gravey, you could doing it using Python instead. Here is an article over at Tech Art Tiki on using Python with Photoshop. The Article also has a link to presentations on using 3ds Max and Python together.

-Eric

Old 04 April 2009   #15
hi eric,

i love that python resourse, the greatest thing about it all is that i've never coded python but it all made sense to me for some reason! the adobe DOM seems to be the same regardless of language. You just have to adapt the syntax slightly but essentially it's the same.

hey johan, seems to me that you need to read your kids some WPF stuff at bedtime instead of normal stories, that way when Max integrates that as standard you'll have couple of XAML experts in house

Thread Closed share thread