Steampunk Myths & Legends: Tortoise and Hare, Jeff Zugale (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2009
Steampunk Myths & Legends: Tortoise and Hare, Jeff Zugale (2D)

Title: Steampunk Myths & Legends: Tortoise and Hare
Name: Jeff Zugale
Software: Illustrator, Painter, Photoshop

This is my entry from the CGS Steampunk Myths & Legends Challenge, which was also selected for inclusion in Exposť 7.

For many seasons, Commodore Harding P. Rasmussen's Champion Racing Conveyance, "Hare," claimed supremacy in steam-powered walking carriages, defeating all challengers. After closely watching Hare's performance, Mr. Arlo Crabthwaite, a racing enthusiast and mill mechanic, discovered the secret of Hare's success - it was merely slightly more reliable than any of its challengers. Hare and other conveyances like it always broke down during races; the Commodore simply had enough financial wherewithal to hire a large repair team and warehouse many key spare parts.

With this knowledge, Mr. Crabthwaite retired to his backyard workshop, where he developed an entirely new walking motion system that, while much slower than all the other steam walkers, was extremely reliable, thus giving his new and ingenious Land Transport, "The Tortoise," a fighting chance in the upcoming championship race.

We see here the exciting and surprising result, with Mr. Arlo Crabthwaite and his Tortoise crossing the finish line to the amazement of the onlookers and the dismay of Commodore Rasmussen, whose team could not repair Hare quickly enough to regain the lead. Huzzah for the remarkable Mr. Crabthwaite!

04 April 2009
Thumbs up

Great narrative. Love the dynamics and motion with the 'hare' and 'tortise' machines. Great representation with their machine design, and the types of character controlling them. Would've liked some higher contrast on the character in the hare machine, just so that I can see then a little better. A very well balanced color pallete. Love the feeling, atmosphere and expression. Great job.

04 April 2009
what is there to say? You did an excellent job on pretty much everything. The composition, the contrast between the rabbit and tortoise, the expressions of the people, colour, light, etc etc etc. You even did a little story telling in the frame!
Good job!
I love the look of it, reminds me of chitty chitty bang bang,

-mozen

www.terryibele.com

04 April 2009
Wonderful, whimsical work Jeff - absolutely pops off the screen. Deserves a lot more attention. Your composition is spot on, and the character you've captured is just great. Love it! Phil

04 April 2009
Fabulous! Love the attention to details. A few areas seem a tad under developed, otherwise a flawless execution! So much character and details! And wonderfully thought out idea.

Great work!

04 April 2009
Such an amazing work on concept and illustration, not speaking of story.
It was actually funny at first to see robots/machines... first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title were that movie with a turtle :P
Never expected this twist heh

04 April 2009
This is simply GREAT, really I can not see something what could be done better...Congratulations from me...

04 April 2009
Thanks very much everyone! Really appreciate your kind words.

04 April 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread