SMC 05: Electronic Gadgets

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2009   #1
SMC 05: Electronic Gadgets

As the most agreed about the topic, here's smc05 - electronic gadgets!

I can't phrase it better than Tyler 'Digitool' already did, so here's the deal:
Things exist in a wide variety of difficulties, from cell phones to laptops, to gaming consoles to remote controls. Someone can pick something that kind of tailors to their style and experience level.

I started with a timeframe of 100min, but didn't have the time to add tiny details like text and screws. :(

Old 04 April 2009   #2
very impressive in 100 min. probably much more than I could have done haha. I'll give this a shot, hopefull, I'm going to take a break from research writing for a class and I think some modeling would be just what I need about right now.

Old 04 April 2009   #3
Hey, my first time participating in a challange. Made a nokia headset that was on my desk, took about 60 mins to model, but probably used half an hour ekstra to render out and composite in PS. Hope I got the rules right and that I'm posting in the correct place (Sorry in advance if I'm not)

Regards J

Software: 3d studio max and Photoshop

Edit: Uploaded higher res
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headset_high_2.jpg (82.4 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by oompzoo : 04 April 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 04 April 2009   #4
Thanks Tyler, felt like my hands were bleeding after. Looking forward to your entry!

Welcome aboard Joakim. Your image could be doubled in size, that'd make it easier to see the work you put in there. From what I can see, it looks really good for 60min!

Imo rendering/compositing isn't considered in the timeframe, so 100 min for modeling only. How much time you spend to present your work is up to you. Otherwise I'd be at 140min at least

Old 04 April 2009   #5
Great models, zortech and oompzoo!
I hope someday i can model as fast as that, zortech!

I brought my pc to my home this weekend, so it will be a lot easier to participate.

Just one question, can we make more than one entry?

Old 04 April 2009   #6
Thank you Stephen! I think it's fine to create more than one entry, looks like more people participating. I think 3dTotal and Game-Artist.net allows that too.

I wanted to try out a screen capturing tool, so I gave it another shot. Unfortunately I was slightly distracted and didn't finish in time...so the "B" and power buttons of the control didn't make it.

Old 04 April 2009   #7

Hello, this is my first challenge as well. This is my cell phone, although I knew it wouldn't be able to finish it, I thought I'd give it a try anyway.This is far from done, buy I did as much as I could within the time frame. It took me 1,5 hour just to do that, 'coz I always get lost when it comes to tiny bits and nurbs.

Old 04 April 2009   #8
Great to see another entry!

What software did you use SkepticMantis? If you're using 3dsMax, you'd be much faster using poly modeling + alot of copy/paste for all the buttons.

Old 04 April 2009   #9
Yes, 3d max 9. Editable poly with symmetry and a meshsmooth on top. that´s what most people use, isn't it? And if by copy/paste you mean the shift+drag, didn't do it that way... (max doesn't really have a copy/paste, does it?) just divided with some more lines, detached the quads and adjusted them all at once.

the biggest problem are on the edges of the buttons, because when I detach, they come out different from the whole they're in. sometimes there are little gaps that i need to fix. The other problem is the bottom of the socket the little ball is in (near the keyboard). I just couldn't get it round..

Sometimes NURMS are counter-productive, coz you have to make many divisions just to make a sharp edge (that don't need any at all).

Last edited by TitForTat : 04 April 2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 04 April 2009   #10
Do you mean NURMS (Non-Uniform Rational MeshSmooth) or NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Spline)?

Guess I was wrong, tought you've build the thing using NURBS curves. ^^ Well yea, creating all those loops to keep the sharp edges sharp, is quite a pain.

Old 04 April 2009   #11
oh, I mean nurms. Sorry about that

Old 04 April 2009   #12
Are we still able to do this or no?

Old 04 April 2009   #13
Great models, Zortech and SkepticMantis.

I did a dvd player. I'm not sure if it counts as an electronic gadget but... anyway, it was fun doing it. I wanted to make the inside part of the dvd tray, but i was not sure if i could finish it on time.

Wireframe:

Old 04 April 2009   #14
been a while ..., motherboard was dead :(

so im back and ready to make some good stuff

Old 04 April 2009   #15
Count me in , ill model my phone

Modeling and texturing about 90 minutes.

Took along time to render, had some issues. Hope it still counts.

Keep in mind because of rendering issues, i could only manage one render of textured view. The poly count was way to high. 250K :\

For my first time UV mapping in maya (just learnt today) im happy with the outcome, although it is very ametuer.

Last edited by dreadfear : 04 April 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Thread Closed share thread