3DS Max 8 Biped Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2009   #1
3DS Max 8 Biped Question

Hello all,

I'm sure somebody out there knows this right off the top of their heads

I am animating something in Max with a tail. The main chacter is rigged using a standard Biped skelaton, but because of the anatomy of the character, I opted to use max bones for the hind quaters and the tail. I am doing animation on the tail now, and, unlike the Biped spine, I have to animate each bone by hand. Instead of say, grabbing all the bones and rotating them and having them all curl, only the highest bone in the heirarchy that I have selected rotates.

I am a Maya guy primarily, and this is standard in Maya. Any idea how I can get all the bones to curl together instead of trying to hand animate each one?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04 April 2009   #2
Unfortunately you have to script it.

I hate that too, and I'm sure it was different back around version 5.

Anyway, you can walk down the hierarchy by pressing "page-down" on your keyboard.

So just select the base of the tail - Rotate - Page-Down - Rotate - Page-Down - etc...

I hope that helps!

Old 04 April 2009   #3
If its not too late, you might look up spline IK in the manual.

Cheers

Chris

Old 04 April 2009   #4
You can wire the parameters of each bone node so that it looks at the next link so that you only need to rotate one node to affect the next.

Old 04 April 2009   #5
If they are aligned properly you should be able to just double click the root of the tail, which selects all of the children, and rotate on the axis to create your curl.
techanimator.blogspot.com

Old 04 April 2009   #6
Thanks for all the ideas guys. What is wierd is that it works incredibly easily in Max 2009. Max 8 seems to have a problem. I'd like to go the wire paramater route, but it seems just as easy to rotate them all individually since I eventually offset them in the animation to give the tail a bit more weight.

Thanks again for all the replies and all the thoughts.

Woody

Old 04 April 2009   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread