Monsters V Aliens :: Production Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2009   #1
Monsters V Aliens :: Production Focus

Hey there,

The crew at DreamWorks had blue goo under their fingernails for a couple years. I couldn't quite work out why. Until last year's SIGGRAPH gave me the final clue. It's in Stereo 3D!
Check out the fruits of their labors in this special feature. Just click the pic, and come back to comment.

Old 03 March 2009   #2
great movie

A really great movie! Thanks for the production focus!

Old 03 March 2009   #3
Awesome stuff, still haven't seen the movie though. :(

Last edited by Ollarin : 03 March 2009 at 07:52 AM.

Old 03 March 2009   #4
Im looking forward to this one.
Off topic,, supposably, trailer for james Cameron's Avatar could be shown with this movie, which Im waiting for ages now..

Old 03 March 2009   #5
Very cute chars, i'm sure it will be amazing

can't wait to see it!

Old 03 March 2009   #6
Interesting to see them using NURBS. I wonder if this because it had to go to fx after animation?

Old 03 March 2009   #7
The concept painting of b.o.b eating a cow is priceless! I am still laughing!

Old 03 March 2009   #8
I actually was able to sit down and talk with a Modeler from Dreamworks and according to him, they are an all nurbs pipeline. It's something that they brought over from the original PDI and haven't converted over yet (I'm assuming their pipeline is way too large to do a simple switch. They're normally working on several projects)

He said they have a lot of in-house tools though that help make the patch modeling more intuitive.

After watching that movie, I am incredibly impressed by B.O.B and it doesn't surprise me that it took that long to get right. I had a bet with my friends that they would use several rigs to make the character work and I was right! Better go collect now.

Old 03 March 2009   #9
Originally Posted by AIR: Im looking forward to this one.
Off topic,, supposably, trailer for james Cameron's Avatar could be shown with this movie, which Im waiting for ages now..

They did not show a trailer for avatar.

Old 03 March 2009   #10
Will there be more production focus articles on M vs A?

Good article.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 03 March 2009   #11
Havent seen it but I can tell you that I wont watch a stereoscopic 3D animation any time soon. I dont want to endorse it. Im more than willing to pay for the story but Im sorry I dont want or need another reason to go to the movies. For kids who dont really care about the story it might seem NEAT at first but Im telling you that its trivial and wont last.
Cmon...Dreamworks? Did we need 3D glasses to feel the depth in any other movie?
Its a ploy to attract people to the movies and to get them to pay more in doing so.
Its old technology...Didnt anyone go to Disneyland/Epcott in the 80's?

It distracts us from good story telling.

Now maybe if we could create holograms and build an entirely new theater, devise stories to be soley in true theatrical 3D.
Then it would be worth it...

Im excited to see an animation directed by G. Del Toro!
Can we get away from this cookie cutter free-rig character design too?
Challenge kids to stories that are a bit darker than we have been giving them?

Monsters vs. Aliens?
sigh....

Old 03 March 2009   #12
The movie looked great and the animation was superb, but the story was pretty weak. I'd watch it again though.

Old 03 March 2009   #13
FYI MvA does a very good job of using 3d to help tell the story. It certinally adds to it and does not distract from it unless in your mind you allow it too.
Saying it distracts from the story is a opinion based on what you allow yourself to nitpick on.
Personally it helps me get immersed in the story even more.

3d is not a gimmick.
I wonder what you guys that irrationally hate stereoscopic are gonna do when all movies are 3d?
Not watch them anymore?
Wait until 2d tries to make a comeback?

Old 03 March 2009   #14
Great article, very interesting stuff about the b.o.b. character rig, almost blend like technique for the arms. The character reminds me of t1000 character from terminator 2 where he can change shape into anything, those things are darn hard to rig and have animator friendly controls at the same time, rather than treat them as a special effect all the time.

So far I've only seen some trailers and it's looking good.

Old 03 March 2009   #15
I guess we can talk about the validity of 3D stereoscopic here... right? If not, please tell me.
What picks at me are the people who think its something revolutionary...when in reality stereoscopic images go back to the 1800's. I want to see something improve our movie experience but I think it wont happen if the people in control keep emphasizing technology over actual story content. Why else would John Lasseter drool like he does over Miyazaki's work?
Look...I hope that as a 3D artist myself that our work is seen as best as it can be. I just dont want to have to watch stereoscopic "experiments" as we get this technology perfected and ready for unveiling. Which in my opinion it isnt...yet.
Like I said before I want to see actual holograms on a stage...CG backdrops, character/actors that one can see from all angles in true 3D space.
That is the revolution in movies/storytelling that will bring back the masses.
From what I have read some people cannot wear the glasses due to their eyesight
or prescription lenses...are they just left out if so?

Ultimately we suspend disbelief in ways so much simpler than many make it out to be.
The story is the root...why dont we nurture the roots?

Thread Closed share thread