Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
rdeyoung
Art is never finished

portfolio
Ryan DeYoung
Los Angeles, USA

Squirting "ketchup" out of a bottle, please help

Hey guys,

Im pretty new to dynamics - Im trying to create the effect of ketchup squirting out of a bottle. I have a character that picks up a ketchup bottle and starts squirting it out.
I have an emitter parented to the nozzel and the particles start coming out as he squeezes it. I have it on blobby surface but it just looks like a bunch of round balls, not a nice stream of liquid. Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
rdeyoung
Art is never finished

portfolio
Ryan DeYoung
Los Angeles, USA

Im also getting this weird thing happening, when the ketchup bottle moves, the particles break up. What causes this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (9.2 KB, 89 views)

Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
kdronez
Frequenter

portfolio
Veselin Gyurov
Noobie xD
Searching for Job T_T.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeyoung
Hey guys,

Im pretty new to dynamics - Im trying to create the effect of ketchup squirting out of a bottle. I have a character that picks up a ketchup bottle and starts squirting it out.
I have an emitter parented to the nozzel and the particles start coming out as he squeezes it. I have it on blobby surface but it just looks like a bunch of round balls, not a nice stream of liquid. Any advice?

Thanks!

I dont know if you use maya 2009,but if you do use water preset its nice for liquids :>.You can control the shape under liquid simulation menu (its in attribute editor),also decrease your space scale (under nucleus node.If you are using good old particles just increase threshhold to smth like 1 :>.
You can increase your damp and drag values(its under Dynamic Properties) to smth like .1 or .2.
I think that if you increase your Substeps and max colission iteration (under nucleus-> solver attributes) you wont get that much slices,but this will slow the playback :>.Also you can increase the particles that come out to smth like 1000 :>.
Play with the options and you will get the result(well this is the funnyest part isnt it xD) and after you like what you get convert it to poly,play (again xD ) with output mesh option and add texture :>.
Hope this will help you.Ou and dont forget to cache the nparticles it will be much easyer to work with them :>.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
mousers-trousers
portfolio
mau Maurin Moreno
Motion Graphics Designer
Maracaibo, Venezuela

Might Help.

Ha, my reply is very late but maybe I can help...for future projects
I am very new to dynamics myself and today I did this short tutorial which I found very helpful. This is just to get a feel of what dynamics (liquids) is all about.

You were on the right track using blobby surface btw

Here is a link to the tutorial!

http://www.mtmckinley.net/tut12.html

Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Im also getting this weird thing happening, when the ketchup bottle moves, the particles break up. What causes this?

Try adding a little bit of spread on the emitter and random speed, that may help.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Cheesestraws
o.o

portfolio
John Cocks
Curitiba, Brazil

Quote:

You appear to be emitting far far too few particles.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Wick3dParticle
Technically an artist

portfolio
Ilan Gabai
FX TD
Blue Sky Studios
New York, USA

Send a message via AIM to Wick3dParticle
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have it on blobby surface but it just looks like a bunch of round balls, not a nice stream of liquid. Any advice?

Thanks!

you can add the radiusPP attribute and give it a creation expression of something like:

Code:
particleShape1.radiusPP = rand(.5,2);

Randomizing radius in conjunction with a good threshold setting should break up the round balls look.

Also take a look in to using a curve flow, you may find that useful for this type of effect.
effects/create curveflow

Good Luck!

~Ilan

Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread