DWIV - 3D - Nethermind - Wykelichen

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2009   #1
DWIV - 3D - Nethermind - Wykelichen

Demon - Abomination

Introducing The Wykelichen (why ~ kee ~ lie-k'n)

*most recent*
__________________________________________________ __________________________
Pheeew! Thank the Demons for time extenstions. Managed to work in a beauty pass on the work that was completed so far and got the last two uploads in. GL everyone.

Text

Beauty

Presentation

Construction

Concept

Textures

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Last edited by Nethermind : 05 May 2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: update image

Old 03 March 2009   #2
Concepts 2

Some additional concepts based off the far right pose.

Still debating if this guy would be a better fit as a norm/stalker or demon/prince. Just not sure if I want to incorporate a magical item as his power as his abilities come from his physiology. Other than that he would it would fit perfectly as an information gatherer/assasin.

Also, could his needles/toxins constitute the "inborn powers" of a demon prince?

Old 03 March 2009   #3
really nice concept, cant wait to see it alive

www.shamesarts.com

Old 03 March 2009   #4
Awesome drawings, and a very nice concept!
Only thing that I can put my finger on is that the silhoutte of it seems boring, if you see that thing on a battlefield between 2000 other demons, what makes it stand out? The human like silhoutte seems a bit to common. It's reconiseable by head, no doubt, but the rest of the body is too bland at the moment.

Can't wait to see it done though! Good Luck!

Old 03 March 2009   #5
Quote: Awesome drawings, and a very nice concept!
Only thing that I can put my finger on is that the silhoutte of it seems boring, if you see that thing on a battlefield between 2000 other demons, what makes it stand out? The human like silhoutte seems a bit to common. It's reconiseable by head, no doubt, but the rest of the body is too bland at the moment.

I agree, you should probably try taking the hole idea of the head to the body even though you should be carful not to cover the body in small tentacles because of the tri count.

But nice idea that guy looks really nasty ^^

Old 03 March 2009   #6

I kinda like his pear shape.

I had the same initial concerns about the body hence the 2nd drawing. I'm sure I could tweak it a bit more to get some interesting contours yet still keep the hunched shoulders, elongate neck muscle and "ponchy" physique in there. Next, going to punch up his hands and work on the lower torso into something more recognizable/unique from a distance.

Also the hairs will be done with a bunch of alphas and planes and the other sporadic body fungus and spores will have simple geometry so hopefully I can keep the tri's down.

(changed some of the descriptive text also to clear up some of the designs i had in mind that weren't clear)

Old 03 March 2009   #7
zbrush update

Finally got some more time to work on this. I've moved to zbrush as things are much easier to concept up quickly. Heres a quick torso sculpt, roughing in the shapes. Will be adding the eyestalks in and testing out how they look in a bit.

A quicktime turnaround can be viewed here (8mb .mov) (1st pose/2nd pose altered)

Also built the zsphere base, it seems to work out pretty well. (except for the hands and toes..DAMN YOU ZBRUSH!)

zsphere base. Seems to work well as an adaptive mesh except for problematic areas on the hands/toes (as always). Will use this for the rigging/character posing.

Last edited by Nethermind : 03 March 2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: new image

Old 03 March 2009   #8
that's a really cool and original concept! I like the sketches a lot...

Old 04 April 2009   #9
Back again. Zbrush posing

Well, real life took me away from this entry for a time. Damn you real life!

Hopefully I'll find enough time to be able to finish. I'll have to cut some corners and it will be tight but doable i think.

Hands and feet are zbrushed to about 75%. I'll post some more pics after I get the hands and feet projected into the model.

One of the few gripes I have about zbrush is its shitty ability to handle fingers/toes in zspheres without mucking around so much. Other than that, i'm loving every minute of this sculpt.

arg. so much to do, so little time.

Did some quick posing to get more of a feel for it's final state. (minus the eyestalks)

Quicktime Turnaround (850kb)

Last edited by Nethermind : 04 April 2009 at 08:32 AM.

Old 04 April 2009   #10
Hands - cleaner base mesh for projection

Here's a progress on the hands and the base mesh for reprojecting so I can work on the detailing as a complete model.

Hopefully the highrez will be done by friday.

Old 05 May 2009   #11
High rez . I'm going to have to forego some details and get the cage and texture done asap if I want to finish this. Bah. not enough time. anyway, here's the progress.

Old 05 May 2009   #12
interesting work men!

Old 05 May 2009   #13
This odd guy is really cool, cheer up for the lowpoly and textures !

Old 05 May 2009   #14
Low poly progress + shader test. 3DS Max.

About 6.8 tris at the moment. Not optimized yet, I just wanted to get some work done on the shader in max and take a break from the high rez sculpting. Saving 2-3k tris for the hairs and fungi that will be going on his body as well as for toenails and refining the hands/feet a bit more. Also a small leather loincloth will be added.

Back, arms, legs still need zbrushing as well.

Old 05 May 2009   #15
NIce character, i like a lot the headkeep it up

Thread Closed share thread