The Watchmen :: Production Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2009   #1
The Watchmen :: Production Focus

Hey there,

Sony Pictures Imageworks and Intelligent Creatures let me in the door on production of The Watchmen, released Friday. The effort put in by them and the string of other studios was immense. Enough talk. Click the link to read my article and feel free to comment.

Old 03 March 2009   #2
Nice article but am I the only one who thinks the U's look like H thanks to the font.

I read this as "actor bully crudip on set wearing light emitting motion capture shit" and did a double take

Last edited by SheepFactory : 03 March 2009 at 01:07 AM.

Old 03 March 2009   #3
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: Nice article but am I the only one who thinks the U's look like H thanks to the font.

I read this as "actor bully crudip on set wearing light emitting motion capture shit" and did a double take

yeah, i's indeed hard do spot the difference

nice article!

Old 03 March 2009   #4
Awesome article! Loved the movie! Love the Novel!

It's interesting that Travers says the opening credits are his favorite part. They were also my favorite part. I've never had chills run up my spine like I did during those credits.

Old 03 March 2009   #5
More details on Rorchach's mask

“Every Rorschach head replacement was lit and rendered with Houdini and Mantra,” says Jeff Newton, 3D Supervisor, Intelligent Creatures “Houdini was used for all of our Rorschach look development and pipeline right down to the use of fur for close up cloth fibers.”

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...=1461&Itemid=68

Old 03 March 2009   #6
Quote: The L.A. Times actually called ‘The Watchmen’ story, ‘unfilmable’. Years ago, Pete Travers of SPI would have said the same thing. “But anything is filmable in these digital days, and it’s just a question of how good the result would have been.”

I haven't heard anyone call it unfilmable due to special effects requirements. I've heard lots of people call it unfilmable because it's a long and complex work whose raison d'être is detailed worldbuilding and storytelling tricks that only work in comics.

In the words of Terry Gilliam: “The problem with Watchmen is that it requires about five hours to tell the story properly, and by reducing it to a two or two-and-a-half hour film, it seemed to me to take away the essence of what Watchmen is about.”

This post by SpeedSnake may contain offensive material. Click here to view it.

Old 03 March 2009   #8
Originally Posted by SpeedSnake: yeah the movie must be great....so i'll go and....wait for the DvDrip...

Old 03 March 2009   #9
Originally Posted by SpeedSnake: yeah the movie must be great....so i'll go and....wait for the DvDrip...

Thats insulting and honesty a moronic thing to say on a forum of artists that more than likely worked on the film.

The Dr Manhattan shots were absolutely beautiful! The fact that were entirely CG is just incredible. The amount of emotion they got into his face was amazing. You actually felt his stillness....that sort of subtlety is extremely difficult to pull off, so well done to those animators! His shading as well was incredible. Solid, gas, liquid, and transparent all at the same time.

Rorschach's mask was also a thing of beauty. I almost want to watch it again and just skip to his scenes!
**little spoiler ahead**
I didn't really like the Antarctica scenes, or the Mars ones. From a technical standpoint they were incredible, and beautiful to see-but I thought they lacked the 'grit' that the other city scenes had. I know its a design thing, and its worth it for the final shot of Rorschach in the snow...wow. Beautiful art direction there!

Old 03 March 2009   #10
Thumbs up

I saw the movie yesterday, it really was great from beginning to end. I love the story and the way they told the story.

Rorschach was the coolest character in my opinion. Especially on the jail scenes when he unmasked ("I'm not locked down with you here! You are locked down here WITH ME!!!") it was very cool. If you love to enjoy good acting besides heavy bombing of 3D effects - Jackie Earle Haley's play on the movie will really amaze you. On his scenes it really was a one-man-show.

Silk Spectre II - of course hot Hollywood bombshell Malin Akerman. It was kinda hard to recognize her with black hair... she looks very different. Besides being so hot she was actually very good on fighting scenes. Very convincing.

I also enjoyed the sudden "slow motions" on all fighting scenes. Director Zack Snyder's craftsmanship speaks itself. Also you can be sure there's enough blood spilled on the movie.

So for the people who didn't see the movie yet - you'll find a lot of great stuff on it besides Dr. Manhattan. And Of course visualization and realization of Dr. Manhattan is absolutely flawless.

Old 03 March 2009   #11
Originally Posted by Pyke: I didn't really like the Antarctica scenes, or the Mars ones. From a technical standpoint they were incredible, and beautiful to see-but I thought they lacked the 'grit' that the other city scenes had.

Kinda agree about that. Personally I like the scene most with Mars surface are the first one when Dr. Manhattan came all alone. Shot from the high altitude was very cool.

Last edited by Kerem : 03 March 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Old 03 March 2009   #12
Thanks for the feedback on this movie - I will indeed be watching the film when it comes to video.

Old 03 March 2009   #13
I saw it last Saturday.
During the interval some people commented that they were bored with all the flashbacks to explain the characters background, they seemed to want more action and such... in my opinion it's perfect like it is now. I prefer to see a movie that takes is time to explain things that one that persists in trow us with insane action from 5 in 5 minutes.
Liked it allot, hope that they release a directors cut with more half a hour

Dr. Manhattan is also impressive, I knew it was CG, one can tell by the teeth
Don't know why but the teeth are still the aspect that break the believability in CG characters... too much perfect maybe

Old 03 March 2009   #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Pyke
I didn't really like the Antarctica scenes, or the Mars ones. From a technical standpoint they were incredible, and beautiful to see-but I thought they lacked the 'grit' that the other city scenes had.

I think that was the point. They weren't supposed to be gritty, because they were void of people (for the most part). I think its a strong contrast between those locations and the riot filled streets in the city.

Old 03 March 2009   #15
Great film, awesome article. I kind of wondered myself if the blue light was composited or not actually. I thought Rorschach's mask was supposed to be more like one of those 80's dresses with double layers of latex, but cotton works too I guess.

Thread Closed share thread