CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > NVArt Competitions > NVArt - Surreal
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Macco
Veteran
portfolio
Vaughn Jennings-White
Media Arts & Amimation
Art Institute
Lakeland, USA

Sherbet

Sherbet began as a sketch that I later rendered in 3DS Max in portrait and landscape form. The image was then imported into Photoshop and Painter where I finished and touched up the image.

I really enjoyed this contest; it forced me to step up my game and try to create work similar to Jacek Yerka’s. I was motivated by the fact that this great artist is a tactile artisan who works brilliantly with any medium. When I saw his pastel work, I was completely blown away by his attention to detail and dedication to upholding his one of a kind style. It was extremely helpful for me to visit his site to get an understanding of how he creates his whimsical creations; and I learned that his toughest critique come from his family, which is so true. I tried to incorporate some of these attributes into my painting. I was inspired by Yerka’s: “The Walking Lesson,” “Tangerine Dream,” “Two snails,” and “The Express Package,” hell, I was inspired by them all. His work has forced me to take a second look at landscape and still life work. I’ve always been a fan of surreal art and I will definitely be doing more landscape and still life studies in the near future.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Macco
Veteran
portfolio
Vaughn Jennings-White
Media Arts & Amimation
Art Institute
Lakeland, USA

sherbet_original

I wanted to add a more detailed shot, because the formatting didn't allow me to present the work in it's orginal 1600x2560 format.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
tiello
Veteran
portfolio
i o
USA

I'm glad you touched up your original post. I'm a little confused about the city that is dangling over the water. What I really like is the unfinished feel from clouds to water tucked in at the bottom.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Macco
Veteran
portfolio
Vaughn Jennings-White
Media Arts & Amimation
Art Institute
Lakeland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiello
I'm glad you touched up your original post. I'm a little confused about the city that is dangling over the water. What I really like is the unfinished feel from clouds to water tucked in at the bottom.

Thanks a lot. I wanted to show that the city was falling from the sky and dangling by a thread over the water below it.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread