Modo on Atom Netbook?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2009
Modo on Atom Netbook?

Has anyone successfully been able to run Modo 302 on an Atom Powered Netbook (using XP)?

I'm sure it would be slow but does their graphic chip run Opengl?

Thanks.

03 March 2009
It depends on which Netbook you're referring to. Dell, Acer Asus, and HP all use the Intel GMA 950. That's what's in My MacBook so yes, it will run Modo just fine. Not great, but fine. No advanced Open GL features (like advanced sculpting preview) and Nothing that uses GLSL is going to work very well. But, it is definitely a workable solution for $300 USD. You get what you pay for these days.

04 April 2009
Ok

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised that that intel chipset runs any form of opengl. I might pick up a netbook for modeling. I don't need a good render.

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by brianod: Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised that that intel chipset runs any form of opengl. I might pick up a netbook for modeling. I don't need a good render.

Yeah like I said, that intel chip is in the MacBook which runs OS X. OS X's entire UI is drawn on top of Open GL.

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by brianod: Has anyone successfully been able to run Modo 302 on an Atom Powered Netbook (using XP)?

I'm sure it would be slow but does their graphic chip run Opengl?

Thanks.

Yeah Modo runs on Nettops with WindowsXP! I've got a cheap acer aspire one (a150) and modo works pretty good. Like "ngrava" already wrote, no Advanced Ogl (it maybe crash if you try to use adv.Ogl). Oh and don't forget the gma900 /950 isn't very fast, I can rotate ~50k polys withouth much display lag. Even 3d Painting works, but very very slow.

04 April 2009
The Intel Atom CPU used in most netbooks is ca 1/6th of the performance of a Core2 cpu:
http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery...49----jpg-.html

So, possibly useful for simple modeling etc, but not for rendering or other CPU-intensive tasks.

04 April 2009
Talking

Originally Posted by runejw: The Intel Atom CPU used in most netbooks is ca 1/6th of the performance of a Core2 cpu

So, possibly useful for simple modeling etc, but not for rendering or other CPU-intensive tasks.

Right, and it only need 15W compared to 100W

Everybody should know that a Atom CPU isn't a alternative to a CoreDuo based CPU (celeron, pentium, core2duo) / AMD DualCore.

But that's enough power for simple meshes and renderings and to do some scripting experiments.

04 April 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread