Game icons - Character - Digital Ninja

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2003   #1
Game icons - Character - Digital Ninja

Jeez,

I am coming in a bit late, but this challenge seems like alot of fun, and I need the game modelling practice. So I am setting up a spot for my cool icon guy ( or gal )

I will work up some sketches later tonight and get to modelling ASAP, just hope I can make the deadline.

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #2
K,

I got my guy all sketched up and ready to go. I have been playing Dark Cloud 2 latley so that inspired me to go with a super deformed fuzzy dude .

I will start the model today hopefully, but here is the concept.

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #3
Wow, great concept!

Looking forward to see some progress

Old 07 July 2003   #4
Thanks ,

Here are some quick reference images for the actual model. I will post my first actual maya progress tonight hopefully.

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #5
Hey there Digital Ninja,

It's looking quite good. However, right now perhaps his arms could be lengthened a bit. His elbows should be in line with his mid torso, right above his hips. Also, he has a very cute boyish face, so maybe it's just me on this one, but perhaps shrinking his body to match and enhance this cuteness could further enhance this already wonderfull character.

Otherwise, it's looking great dude, I am looking forward to seeing this little guy come to life in 3d.

Keep'em coming

Fredrik Hultqvist
- Online portfolio: - Magicswithin - <-- Now Under Construction
- My Cgchallenge Gallery: - Apt Pupil -
- Email: - me -

Old 07 July 2003   #6
Your 2d artwork is always amazing, DN.

check out his site
http://digitalninja.killerart.net/DNmain.htm

Looking forward to see what you can do in 3D . BTW, you were always cannon fodder for me in Halo

Old 07 July 2003   #7
i think this has a lot of potential - eagerly awaiting your model!!

Old 07 July 2003   #8
Thanks for pointing that out Apt Pupil,

The arms definately needed changing, especially since he's supposed to have larger than normal paw like hands. I redid the reference and also gave him finger digits so I have something to animate on his hand. But I want to keep the face the same, I agree with you that a cute character should have a larger head but I want this character to have more like a grown up quality to him.

This is why doing reference images first is a good idea.

I also went to your website Apt Pupil, that hi-res vehicle you made with the guy wearing the flight goggles was amazing!

Thanks!

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #9
Originally posted by Hirigashi
Your 2d artwork is always amazing, DN.

check out his site
http://digitalninja.killerart.net/DNmain.htm

Looking forward to see what you can do in 3D . BTW, you were always cannon fodder for me in Halo

One day Hirigashi, I shall take Master Chief and rise up against your kind. When that will be with my sad skills is unknown, maybe with Halo 2? LoL

-DN

Last edited by Digital Ninja : 07 July 2003 at 04:24 AM.

Old 07 July 2003   #10
Wooo,

The first signs of 3D are afoot. Here is his base torso and arm W.I.P.

His original torso:

And then I made his arm and attached it. Then mirrored that for display:

Front:

Back:

K I am tired, more tommorrow! Comments and crits welcomed.

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #11
Ok,

I worked up his feet and legs and attached them to the torso then mirrored it, looks a bit scary right now without the head I know, but this is how the process goes for me .

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #12
Wooo, got the head done ,

And got lotso poly's to spare for the scarf, weapon and details.

Front:

Back:

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #13
Hey there again,

Thanks for checking out my site . . . but I'll be erasing it very soon to create a new one that reflects my game artist carreer Otherwise, I checked out your site, and hey, very impressive! Your design sense is really good, the layout is great.

Otherwise, watch out on your polycount, there is no way that your model can be only 848 polies so far. Check out [NOV]'s thread, if you are using Maya, you will have to triangulate your mesh to get the correct reading.

Fredrik Hultqvist
- Online portfolio: - Magicswithin - <-- Now Under Construction
- My Cgchallenge Gallery: - Apt Pupil -
- Email: - me -

Old 07 July 2003   #14
Yep,

Actually my count is at 1690 tri's. Sorry I didn't mean to confuse anyone with the stats at the top, all the images so far are just the quads face count.

But, I didn't even realize we could use up to 4000 for the character, I thought we were limited to 2500, thats why I say I have lots of polys left to work with for details.

Can't wait to check out your new site!

-DN

Old 07 July 2003   #15
Quick Update,

I finished his scarf, which right now is not part of the actual model,I am not sure how I should attach it, I prolly will just so I can cut back on some polys when I tweak it.

And I also triangulated the mirrored model so You can check out the count, which is still below 2000 YAY!

-DN

share thread