Cati's occasional Sketchbook

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2009   #1
Cati's occasional Sketchbook

Hi there,

I'm starting a new sketchbook for comments and critique. These days there's hardly a day without sketching but I mostly sketch on paper. So when I have the time I scan here some pictures about my progress and my thoughts about drawing and painting.

I start with a portrait of my dog Vilma watching outside. It's drawn in Painter IX with Artist Oils. I'm very happy about the values and composition since I tried to be very careful and thoughtful - so very unlike me ;-) . At the same time I tried to get very loose with my brush and not worry about making every detail count. It's done in about 5 mins. She won't stay still for long.

Old 02 February 2009   #2
Working on a painting

I'm working on a portrait of my niece, Maria. This is a smaller oilpaint study of her face.
I'm following the workroutines of old masters so I'm pretty excited. This is the first phase of the work (underpainting in gray) and it took me about 3 hours. I will add more details before moving on to next layer: Glazing. After that I'm doing the opaque layer to make fixes and add more life to the skin.

It's amazing how similar the oilpainting routines are compared to digital. I'm learning a lot.

Old 02 February 2009   #3
some eye sketches

Here are some sketches of eyes I've drawn lately.

Old 02 February 2009   #4
Great start to your thread Cati i'm loving that portrait so far. You seem to know the process of oil painting well, maybe i can learn from you? I'm interested to see how traditional and digital painting processes can share techniques? Looking foward to more.

Old 02 February 2009   #5
Thanks for your comment Rabid1.

I'm no expert in oilpaint but I find that painting in traditional media seems to improve my skills in digital form. The layer system is very similar to that of the digital media. But since oilpaint is very strict about what you add in the first layers you'll have to think a lot before you even start on a painting.
You have to know about mixing colours.. it's a tremendous help when you move to a program like Painter (which I use a lot). The most difficult thing is to understand the amount of white you can use because it's something that can make all the difference in the end. In oilpainting - you very rarely use white as 'white'.

Old 04 April 2009   #6
Some drawings

I'll add here few drawings while I'm waiting for the gesso to dry (sizing some papers).

Charcoal drawing to test out techniques I've learnt lately.

Few croquis drawings with ink and strawpen

Here's a portrait drawing. I've managed to get the likeness in there but the composition sucks big time. I used graphite.

Last edited by Cati : 04 April 2009 at 06:32 AM.

Old 04 April 2009   #7
Nice work Cati, you have great stroke control with this last update...with charcoal, graphite and ink all very confident lines. That sphere has wonderful lighting too....looking foward to more...you should post your painting once it dries a bit =)

Old 04 April 2009   #8
Thanks for your kind comments again, Rabid1.

I hope to post something more finished here soon.

Old 04 April 2009   #9
I started doodling with Painter and here's the results..

Old 07 July 2009   #10
Here's few that I've finished on my two week vacation...

First -- some Finnish landscape..

tried to achieve cartoonish looking scenery..

then some beach in 50's style.. dunno if I succeeded

and a spacestation... I made no effort to try to make it look real..

Oh.. and all these were made 100% in Artrage 2.5

Old 09 September 2009   #11
Few doodles... darker..

Here are some doodles I've made lately with ArtRage

Old 09 September 2009   #12
Hey, that's a wonderfull art collection you have here
Especially those drawings I like much. Keep posting

Old 09 September 2009   #13
Thanks for your kind comments! I try ..

Old 09 September 2009   #14
hey catie!
i really like those last artrage doodles, that yellow head really got me! :P
keep them coming, that rough look of the head and the two women is just awesome!

Old 09 September 2009   #15
I found a great little software and I've been doodling around with it all day. Haven't come up with anything great yet but here's my first drawing..

edit: And the software was Paint Tool SAI

Last edited by Cati : 09 September 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Thread Closed share thread