cavetroll
Veteran

Tom Bracht
Student / Rigger
Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg
Ludwigsburg, Germany

jsForearmSetup

heya all.
I got this radius/ulna setup from Jason`s first dvd implemented in a character. Evereything works very well so far but when skinning those guys I canīt work out how to successfully weight the radius and ulna. I really donīt know how to get a nice deformation out of it. The forearm is getting compressed between those bones and looks really ugly.
I remember that there once was a thread comparing this setup to the second-split-bone-setup in the forearm, dealing with deformation. Also tried influence objects parented to the radius and ulna, but... And I remember that Jason was talking about a "volumetric" skinning system they are using at WETA. Maybe this setup does not work with the maya skinning system??? Maybe I am too stupid right now, but did anybody ever successfully weight this radius/ulna thing using smooth bind? Even the skin at the wrist gets teared apart, because the radius_end does rotate with the wrist, compared to the ulna_end which does just translate with the wrist. Does anybody get me?
Help and suggestions greatly appreciated!
Maybe I should go back to the split-bone-setup?

Cheers, Tom.

Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
cavetroll
Veteran

Tom Bracht
Student / Rigger
Ludwigsburg, Germany

sorry for posting a question. :thumbsdow

Old 07-01-2003, 01:51 AM   #3
Phearielord
Frequenter

portfolio
MJ
Wellington, New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to Phearielord
hey cavetroll

I use the forearm setup in all my characters....it's great.
Though I must admit, it is slightly harder to get the skin weights right across that area.
Just using the 'paint weight tool', I just assign the majority of the weight for the forearm to either of the 2 bones.....not both.
The weight will slowly decrease, shifting to that of my normal forearm bone I use for IK (I have 3 bones in the forearm area).
The area around the wrist will solely be weighted with one bone (the major/leading bone I talked about earlier).
I hope this is clear enough......just smooth the weights out around the forearm....

Old 07-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
cavetroll
Veteran

Tom Bracht
Student / Rigger
Ludwigsburg, Germany

heya Phearielord.
thanx for answering

yeah. thatīs what I figured out, too. I put nearly all the weights to the "inner" wrist bone, which in my case is called radius_end. the rest goes to the wrist joint to have action in the skin happening when rotating the wrist down or to the side. I also happen to have the third "low_arm"-bone in my forearm.
maybe it just takes longer to paint this stuff, than in the split-forearm-setup. what confuses me the most is that when you paint the weights to the "main"wrist bone (radius_end) the skin rotates differently than when you paint it to a split-forearm (because of the position offset to the wrist joint). my radius_end has the same orientation as the wrist_joint, so this shouldnīt happen. maybe it is because of the ik in the radius bone??
Anyway I need to setup some influence objects to spread the skin apart, to maintain its volume when twisted about my local Y-axis. mmmhhhhh.....
Life is hard sometimes..... mmhhh, sorry.
Also tried a twist deformer in a different setup. Doesn`t work that bad....
Anyway, back to my painting....

Thanx again, take care,
tom.

Old 07-01-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
Phearielord
Frequenter

portfolio
MJ
Wellington, New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to Phearielord
mmmm.....
I think I'm getting what you're saying...

anyway
hope you get it fixed

Old 01-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread