Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
TerianSilva
Dude

portfolio
Marcus Braun
Media Production
portamedia.com
Germany

Maxscript and wire parameters stop working (sometimes)

Hi,

whenever I add custom attributes, they sometimes stop working.
It seems that wire parameters do not respond to control (for example slider) changes and buttons do not work anymore.

Is this a known issue? Do you know how to avoid this? Maybe I am just doing stuff that disables all linkage.

Edit:
Max 2009 - 32 Bit (no service pack)
Windows XP SP3

Last edited by TerianSilva : 01-20-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: System Information added

Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
PEN
R&D/Technical Director

portfolio
Paul Neale
PEN Productions
Canada

Max version?
Service pack?
OS?
32/64bit?

No this shouldn't happen.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
BradT
Immersive Maestro

Brad Thompson
Near Philadelphia, USA

It's been a few max versions since I ran into this, so I could be off here. It used to be (and maybe still is?) that when you create a wired parameter, it's given a range bar equal to the current time range. If that's what's going on, you can fix it by extending the controller's range bar in track view OR just go to scriptspot and search for the script called something like "fix ranges".

To avoid it in the future, set your active time segment to something very large before rigging.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
IkerCLoN
Likes twisted bones

portfolio
Iker J. de los Mozos
Character TD
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Los Angele, USA

Maybe you can use Expression or Script Controllers instead of wiring. That way you avoid the problem.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
LoneRobot
Swami Lama's Lovechild

portfolio
Pete Addington
Technical Director
Nexus
United Kingdom

I have had this on numerous installs of 2009, it is a known bug and documented in SP1. best to install the hotfix from the autodesk site and it should sort it out. (the latest hotfix includes previous fixes)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...&linkID=9241178

Read my technical blog - lonerobot.net

Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
steev
Frequenter

animator

Send a message via Yahoo to steev
i ran into this several times with 2009 & even the hotifix didn't fix it. specifically i was using CA sliders wired to the rotation of something in the scene. along with this slider i had spinner two-way wired to the slider in order to easily right-click on the spinner and re-set it & the slider to zero. this worked without a hitch with previous versions until 2009.

setting it up so the spinners master controlled the objects in the scene (& cutting out all the slider CA's) fixed the problem for me.

the issue (intermittent keyability of custom attributes) seems to stem from 2-way connections. that said, i have some 2-ways that work fine. it's a weird bug.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
TerianSilva
Dude

portfolio
Marcus Braun
Media Production
portamedia.com
Germany

Thanks for the answers. Yepp, I had these problems with the slider controller. It is not reproducible but chances are very high, that it occurs when loading a file while after loading it again, the error is gone.
So the slider component seems to be screwed up somehow. I will replace it and use a spline gui where it is possible.

thanks again!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
LoneRobot
Swami Lama's Lovechild

portfolio
Pete Addington
Technical Director
Nexus
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev
setting it up so the spinners master controlled the objects in the scene (& cutting out all the slider CA's) fixed the problem for me.

the issue (intermittent keyability of custom attributes) seems to stem from 2-way connections. that said, i have some 2-ways that work fine. it's a weird bug.

That's interesting to know steev, as I hadn't seen any issues after installing the patch. This is because I dont tend to use two way connections, more generally using the controller property of spinners and sliders instead of parameter wiring. perhaps I was lucky in avoiding this. I'll remember this issue for the future though, cheers.

Last edited by LoneRobot : 01-21-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
PEN
R&D/Technical Director

portfolio
Paul Neale
PEN Productions
Canada

I always forget about two way connections as I almost never use them. There have been many reports of problems like this with them but I also thought that the hot fix corrected it. If any one has any file that show the problem you should get them to AD so they can see the problem first had or they will not be able to correct it for us.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
LoneRobot
Swami Lama's Lovechild

portfolio
Pete Addington
Technical Director
Nexus
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev
i along with this slider i had spinner two-way wired to the slider in order to easily right-click on the spinner and re-set it & the slider to zero.

I usually setup the slider buttondown or buttonup event to have a keypressed condition that resets the slider with control click. it would get round the need for two way wiring and the extra UI element, unless of course you wanted this and needed the spinner's precision.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread