Autodesk to cut 750 jobs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2009   #1
Autodesk to cut 750 jobs

Link

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) -- Autodesk Inc., the software company that has lost its leader to Yahoo, is cutting 750 jobs, or about 10 percent of its work force to cut expenses and expects to report a loss rather than a profit for the fourth quarter.

Old 01 January 2009   #2
I cannot say I'm really surprised. I would expect a stream lining of products also. Which will give them even more jobs to cull ....

Old 01 January 2009   #3
aww man this sucks. If theyre monopolizing at least they could keep theyre current employee's....

Old 01 January 2009   #4
As long as they don't cut the recently acquired softimage team I don't care

EDIT: Sorry I was harsh, I just hope they don't cut the recently acquired softimage team, I'm still sour about Autodesk buying them.

Last edited by ZacD : 01 January 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #5
750 jobs is what... a quarter of their legal team?

Old 01 January 2009   #6
Actually, their complete dev team.

Old 01 January 2009   #7
Originally Posted by Zac-Donald: As long as they don't cut the recently acquired softimage team I don't care

dude... people are losing jobs and some have families to support...
come on now, let's be more sensitive.

Old 01 January 2009   #8
Originally Posted by Zac-Donald: As long as they don't cut the recently acquired softimage team I don't care

+1 I agree.
Leave them softimage staff alone.

Old 01 January 2009   #9
Guess after acquiring all of their competition they probably just had too much redundancy in a lot of departments. I think it was pretty clear that they'd cut away jobs sooner or later. If they actually do merge the 3 products into one, more jobs will be cut. It's just business.

Old 01 January 2009   #10
Originally Posted by ThomasMahler: If they actually do merge the 3 products into one, more jobs will be cut. It's just business.

actually 5 3d based media and entertainment products>>
3dsmax
maya
motionbuilder
mudbox
xsi

regards dev team sizes i'd imagine there's some overlap from adding the softimage crew onto the existing autodesk crew creating maya, max, motion builder so some cutting back would take plce but also marketing crew from softimage and other staff would be abit of a spare wheel as autodesk already have marketing staff for their products...

also remember autodesk is HUGE and the media and entertainment arm is tiny compared to the cad side..so 750 cut doesn't ness mean that any would be cut from the media and entertainment arm actually unles they were specific about that segment of Autodesk.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 01 January 2009 at 09:02 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #11
You forgot all the compositing apps.

Sorry to hear this and my best wishes to those who've lost their jobs and hoping they can find employment elsewhere ASAP.

There won't be any merging of apps. It's not soup, you can't just pour it all together, give it a sturr and hope for the best! It's cheaper to maintain existing apps.

I'd suggest its just as likely to be sales, subscription teams as it is dev teams. I'd imagine that over the next two years sales in CAD software will plummet (construction industry in UK barely hanging in there) and entertainment software will fall. 3d software already does what we need it to do, so I think even investment in new versions of software (upgrades) will be considered a luxury and they will fall too. I'm sure they're already seeing some falloff.

Dev teams will probably be slimmed down a bit because AD will not want to invest heavily in new version over the next 2 years due to the falls in sales/upgrades. Don't expect any big new features in your software for a while. (Not that we've come to expect "big features" in our Autodesk apps..)

Last edited by jasonio : 01 January 2009 at 09:18 AM.

Old 01 January 2009   #12
Autodesk CEO, Carol Bratz, was named as the new Yahoo CEO a couple of days ago!
What an elegant move! Just let the new guy handle the dirty job, eh.

The crisis is quickly becoming a perfect storm, where even companies like MS and Google who do well, get rid of underperforming workforce.

The future of our beloved 3D apps is obvious.
3dsmax will continue to incorporate plugins just as it did the last 10 years.
Maya will drag its 10 year old code base around with new technology enforced upon it.
XSI will get menu updates here and there and the delicious ICE will start to melt.
Motionbuilder... Well it was aquired just for FBX sake anyway.
And God knows what Mudbox will become...

These apps start to make no sense as they are and should be cooked into one uber-app.
But separate they sell at a total of 15-20K, while one app will hardly be able to justify its high price. That seems to be the only problem other than time constraints.

Old 01 January 2009   #13
yeah i listed the 3d apps...of course there's compositing too in the media arm as well as sketchbok pro

re construction industry...defo...my brother is a director of a construction fim and it's REALLY difficult for them currently so the arch des and general construction side is going to nose dive in numbers of projects and contracts...
that's going to hit 3dsmax, autocad's huge list of realted products andnot just 'autocad 2010'

then there's product design with alias studio tools, revit, inventor...those are going to hit hard as well.

inregard to next versions and subscription updates max looks to have a good next release with c.a.t. being bundled, maya and xsi...who knows...mudbox is having a bugfix currently but i'd expect to see them swing back with something new once zbrush 3.5 appears.

maybe this year will be a bit low key seeing as they more or less own the 3d market now so thay won't have to try too hard to stay ahead of the also ran's like houdini, cinema, modo.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 01 January 2009   #14
I don't remember there being this much stress when paper and pencils were used. I do wish all those that have gotten laid off the best of luck, may they find work they enjoy and may they find it quickly. This is a hard time for everyone, and i'm a bit suprised by some of the comments in here. Heartless, cold and selfish. Let's think of the individuals that are now without work instead of worrying about your favorite apps.

Old 01 January 2009   #15
Originally Posted by XminusOne: ...This is a hard time for everyone, and i'm a bit suprised by some of the comments in here. Heartless, cold and selfish. Let's think of the individuals that are now without work instead of worrying about your favorite apps.

Agreed. These are very scary times and it's spreading to all parts of the economy.

I hope the people that are getting laid off don't see that kind of crap. So much bandwidth is being taken over by rude people. Sad.

Thread Closed share thread