Benjamin Button :: Production Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2009
It was a job very well done indeed - congratulations to all involved, once again!

01 January 2009
Benjamin Button :: Production Focus

Hey there,

The folks at Digital Domain opened up to CGSociety and discussed their part in the creation of the latest leap across the 'uncanny valley'. If you haven't seen this one yet, do yourself a favor, but before you do, have a read and prepare yourself. Also, DIGG it and comment.

01 January 2009
wow

I have not seen the movie yet, but it looks really cool.

01 January 2009
freakin` wizards I'm telling you. Badass work. Congrats to the team.

01 January 2009
Such great work, I didn't even realize I was watching a CG head, until I read this article.

I was a little disapointed they didn't cover the last part of the movie.

"Old Brad Pitt"was pretty amazing, but I was even more impressed by "young Brad Pitt". It was like Thelma and Louise era Pitt. Was that really him, doctored up digitally, or was that CG also?

01 January 2009
Wow, I knew they'd done some impressive effects work in the film, but if that's the level they went to, then it's quite amazing.

01 January 2009
Yeah... I wanna know how they made him younger. I also wanna know if they can do that to me.

01 January 2009
My God. I never thought I'd see something like this. This has to be the best cg I've ever seen. Hats off to the team for ground breaking work.

Wizards indeed...

01 January 2009
WOW! Fantastic job from DD! And congratulation for the article!

01 January 2009
Originally Posted by PaulHellard: Hey there,

If you haven't seen this one yet, do yourself a favor

If only it were out in the UK... ridiculous how much longer we have to wait to catch this one, I remember when loads of US distributed films were out months before they hit our shores, but given the similtaneous release dates we usually have now, this one takes the ##%. Oh well one more month to go.

Thanks for the article, this really is a big improvement over the Orville ad they used to test what they (DD) could do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn4p213Zg8

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

01 January 2009
Whoa! I just got back from watching this and had no idea that they were full CG heads. I assumed there were face replacements, not full head and hair replacements.

Hats off to everyone who worked on the movie . . . a truly unique blend of amazing FX to tell a great story.

01 January 2009
Originally Posted by DoubleSupercool: Whoa! I just got back from watching this and had no idea that they were full CG heads. I assumed there were face replacements, not full head and hair replacements.

Hats off to everyone who worked on the movie . . . a truly unique blend of amazing FX to tell a great story.

Wow what he said , damn fine work done there, great movie.

01 January 2009
Excellent work

It crossed my mind once during the film that a some of the shots were CG but the whole thing. Totally fooled me. I can't wait to watch it again.

01 January 2009
the younger Pitt was done by lola vfx check the Benjamin button article on vfxworld they have covered the whole movie

01 January 2009
I knew what i was watching involved a CG old man head, only because of slight issues with the lip syncing and the head position placed on the actors was slightly off during a scene or 2. However, while i knew what i was watching was fake, my eyes said it was real. My parents who i went to this with had no idea and were amazed when i told them after it was over.

I agree with an above poster though that i am curious as to what they did with young Brad Pitt. Was that cg, makeup, or did they use a smoothing technique in post on him.

It is certainly the most impressive VFX i have ever scene when it comes to replicating reality.

Oh, and Digital Domain did the cg head? Im assuming this makes sense since they are working on James Cameron's Avatar right and that movie is intent on progressing digital actors?

Thread Closed share thread