Check out the news on Luxology.net!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2003
Check out the news on Luxology.net!

http://www.luxology.net

Interesting tease!

06 June 2003
What was mentioned in the video? --- I can't see it at work here on my ancient NT station here.

06 June 2003
I'm still watching it and haven't seen any of the Lux tech yet. I was referring to the FAQ on the Lux site that gives a bit of teaser info on their new technology.

Check out the other "... re:Luxology" thread for tidbits on the videos.

06 June 2003
Gotta love his timing.

If it is a tool for character animation, how is it superior to
Kaydara?

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 06 June 2003 at 09:49 PM.

06 June 2003
The only interesting thing Peebler says in the Keynote video is that in the Luxology technology they have moved a lot of the display computations from the GPU to the CPU.

06 June 2003
Well, did you get the newsletter about MotionBuilder 5? Up until now the only difference between the Standard and Professional editions was the ommision of the SDK. Now it seems like they will really be deliniating the differences between the two packages by ommiting *a lot* of stuff from the standard edition, which is also the personal edition. This may give room for Luxology to offer something of comperable quality with more features.

06 June 2003
I just saw Brad at the show but I couldn't get a real good look at what he was running his tests on. However he did refer to what they were testing as there new project, and it definately was not Lightwave that he was running......Granted I am on the outside, but, I think this is pretty bad news for Lightwave development unless the "New Project" is the next Lightwave?

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by paul k.
I think this is pretty bad news for Lightwave development unless the "New Project" is the next Lightwave?
I mentioned this in the other G5 thread, in the faq, they said that they aren't competing with the 3d platforms (i.e. Lightwave, Maya, 3ds Max, C4D) , they're making a program that "plays nice with others" . Most likely it will be competing with the likes of Motion Builder, Messiah, and Animatium. So many CA choices, my head is spinning.

Last edited by takkun : 06 June 2003 at 10:10 PM.

06 June 2003
Well, whatever it is, what a marketing coup, eh? I mean, how do you get to present a yet-to-be product from a new, still-has-the-peach-fuzz on it company at a show like that? My hats off to Peebler on that one.

06 June 2003
Quote: I mentioned this in the other G5 thread, in the faq, they said that they aren't competing with the 3d platforms (i.e. Lightwave, Maya, 3ds Max, C4D) , they're making a program that "plays nice with others" . Most likely it will be competing with the likes of Motion Builder, Messiah, and Animatium. So many CA choices, my head is spinning.

I know that we have already heard that NewTek is developing the next generations of Lightwave, and so on.... What I meant was that this is bad because there are some really talented people that went over to Luxology and I guess I had held out hope that they were working on something for us. Not to say they are not! But I think Lightwave needs serious work in the character animation, and in simulation. I guess my point is I don't want to buy buddy programs that are developed by different teams. They never fully work well together especially when they are developing for more than one user base. If LW8 does not really sing, and I have to buy something else, it will be XSI were I can have all the tools I need in one box.

06 June 2003
Sight...
Look at all that vapor.
The older I get, the more I appreciate New tek approach to keep
quiet about development.

Hell if the program is an add on for Lightwave, why all the grief?

Hell the Kaydara and Messiah people were cool about their tools
and not divisive and sneaky with the LW community.

:thumbsdow

-R

PS For an example of what I am talking about ,see the comment above mine.

06 June 2003
Hey Roberto,

Which Luxology employee killed your whole family? It is just software.

06 June 2003
Talking just to stir the pot!

My boss made a VERY interesting point for your consipracy theories!

Why would MAC have Luxology and not someone like Wavefront on their video?
Because, Brad being such a MAC lover has worked a deal with MAC, so Luxology will be creating 3D software exclusively for Macintosh!

No more StrataPRO! hahahha

It will be called I-LuxStudio!

And the PC versions wont fully work right nor will pluginz be made for them!

06 June 2003
Nah, they'll release it for the PC just long enough to get a bunch of users. Then they will pull the plug and make it mac only.

06 June 2003
lwbob they tortured my cat.
It was an horrible experience.

He he

Better switch to decaf before I post.

-R

Thread Closed share thread