Switching to Windows XP 64bit. Need Advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2009   #1
Switching to Windows XP 64bit. Need Advice

Hi guys, I'm currently working on a 3D Model of the KMS Bismarck. I'm aiming for a well detailed work but my Rig is at its limit (Specs at bottom of Post).

My model was going great but as I progressed the system begun slowing down until it reached the point where it begun crashing.

I can afford to invest on a Windows 64bit but I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to get a new Maya 2008 64bit Version? (If there is any, but I wont be able to afford it.)

2. Since the RAM Capacity for a 64bit OS is greater than the 32bit version, will this solve the Crashes and "System may have become unstable" problems?

3. I'm planning on installing the 64bit on my 160GB which I will devote to modeling and rendering. I'm planning on keeping my 500GB with the 32bit OS so I can still play or work on my 32bit programs. Will this cause any problem?

[Specs]

Computer Type: ACPI Multiprocessor PC

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP3)

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

CPU Type: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)

Motherboard Name: MSI P6N SLI V2 (MS-7346)

Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 650i SLI

System Memory: 2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)

Hard Drive: 500GB & 160GB Seagate

Last edited by aeterna789 : 01 January 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Old 01 January 2009   #2
Are you sure what is causing the crash?

Open your task manager and see how much RAM Maya is using.

Are you hitting the memory wall? Going to a 64bit OS will help if this is the case. If not, and something else is causing the problem, 64bit OS won't help.

If it is a memory issue, you'll need to buy more RAM in addition to the XP64bit license. You do not need to buy anything additional from Autodesk but you will have to download the 64bit installer from the subscription site. Your 32 bit license is the same.

Old 01 January 2009   #3
Well last time I checked Maya was going 800k and going (is that bad?). Sorry but I'm not really into Maya's technical side and so I don't have a clue what Maya's memory limitations are. Every time Maya crashes it shows a message saying "Cannot Allocate *****(numbers) bytes" so I'm thinking its RAM.

Purchasing new RAM won't be a problem for me, its gotten cheaper these days.

*Whew* I was afraid that I needed to buy another copy of Maya 2008. So just to make it clear, my 32bit license will work on the 64bit?

Old 01 January 2009   #4
Originally Posted by aeterna789: Well last time I checked Maya was going 800k and going (is that bad?). Sorry but I'm not really into Maya's technical side and so I don't have a clue what Maya's memory limitations are.

Maya tends to lock up on XP32 around 1.5-1.6GB if i recall. Open your scene, then open your windows task manager, and see how much memory it is allocating.

Old 01 January 2009   #5
Originally Posted by aeterna789: *Whew* I was afraid that I needed to buy another copy of Maya 2008. So just to make it clear, my 32bit license will work on the 64bit?

The license is the same. You just have to d/l and install the 64 bit media. Or get it from your local reseller.

Old 01 January 2009   #6
Maya takes up 530k of Memory, and I just recently opened the file. It takes a lot more once I render on Mental Ray not to mention my other programs that are running (anti-virus, etc.).

My 2 GB of RAM won't hold this kind of stress and unfortunately, my 32bit OS won't hold any more RAM.

Old 01 January 2009   #7
Originally Posted by aeterna789: Maya takes up 530k of Memory, and I just recently opened the file.

That is not possible. Even opening Maya with a fresh scene takes something like 200+ MB.

Old 01 January 2009   #8
He means 500,000 kbytes,

Try this:
http://forum.3dfluff.com/showthread.php?t=134

Old 01 January 2009   #9
Oh sorry for that misunderstanding, I meant 500MB of RAM. I just opened my scene and now its taking up 700MB.

I like the 3GB hack but I don't think that can help me. 3GB is still rather small for me and the RAM that I'm purchasing are Twins so I'll have a total of 6GB which would be much kinder in terms of Rendering my work on Mental Ray with PSAS and Final Gathering.

Old 01 January 2009   #10
That is still unusual for Maya to crash while using 700MB...

Old 01 January 2009   #11
Well I only have 2GB of RAM and Maya is not the only program Running. For me 700MB is already a system hog and my Maya only crashes once I try to Render my scene.

Old 01 January 2009   #12
Make sure to look at the virtual memory usage of the system in total and not just the physical memory used by Maya. If the system runs out of virtual memory or if the application reaches its limit in virtual memory it will have problems as well. Whether or not the memory and 32-bit platform are the problem, I would highly recommend a 64-bit setup for anyone creating any type of digital content. Not sure what else you need the system for but 64-bit Linux or 64-bit Vista Business are both great as well. The only reason I would ever use 64-bit XP at this point is if I already had a copy lying around, but not really worth buying at this point since its an EOL product and was never mainstream in the first place. Cheers!

Old 01 January 2009   #13
Yeah that does make sense, I'll consider expanding my budget to buy a 64bit Vista.

Old 01 January 2009   #14
Ok, thanks for all the advices, I think I'll install a 64bit Windows Vista on my 160GB HDD as a second OS aside from my normal 32bit Windows XP.

One last question. What is the average RAM does/should a 3D Production (Modeling, Animation, etc.) Artist use?

Old 01 January 2009   #15
Vista64 is by far the best choice for newer systems, but if your system is older (more than 18 months) you may have issues with Vista (or Vista64). In this case you might want to go with XP64 for compatibility/reliability sake.

Thread Closed share thread