CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Steampunk; Myths and Legends - Image
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Brigitte Carole

Brigitte Carole is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The Tenth Muse

Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Hello,

This is really late to enter but this is only now that I get to.
It should be neat to participate, I don't think I'll have time to finish at all but ever since the contest started, I had this idea of drawing the Muses from the Mythology.
So the concept was pretty much all in my head from the start.
So this is going to be a representation of how the 9 muses inspire the 10th muse.
The tenth muse isn't an actual mythological character, but a title given to worthy poets through time. I want to represent the inspiration process how they alll work together to create something beautiful.
That's the goal. Now getting there will be something.

Good luck to everyone!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Concept / pre-visualization: The Tenth Muse

This is the tree of the muses concept. I wanted to make reference to a tree, because of the symbolism behind trees and how they bear fruit.
So basically, I have the 9 muses produce the inspiration or life serum of the ultimate creation, which is any good idea, really, that will make a fruit, the 10th muse can pick.
I figured they should all come from the same tree, as they are all sisters.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Here I have all the different muses as they will appear on the tree. On this first sketch, theses are the 1st five.
Top left is Calliope, the chief of the muses, and also the muse of epic poetry. I made her wear a steamy crown.
Next to her is Clio the muse of History, she is looking over her shoulder, like looking back, but also looking at us. Because History is very important for the present and future in my opinion.
Middle left is Erato, the muse of love and erotic poetry, I gave her leaf buds for crown but normally she is represented with a crown of roses.
Middle right is Euterpe, the muse of lyric poetry and music. Because she is often represented with a flute, I made her with steamy holes that could be like a little steam organ... >.>... So hopefully it looks like she is playing music.
Then below is Melpomene, the muse of tragedy. I made her with two aspects to her face, but I wanted to really distinguish her from the muse of comedy so I made her look sad, mad, serious.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
DougFerreira
animator/illustrator
Doug
São Paulo, Brazil

I am into the mithology thing too,and don't worry about the late entrance,I barely started too,but we can still finish!I like your idea very much,Best of luck to you!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

This is my 2nd set of muses.
On the top left, Polymnia, is the muse of sacred songs, poetry etc, so I made her look thoughtful, reverent.
Top right is Urania, the muse of astronomy. I put her at the top looking up at the sky.
Middle left is Terpischore, she is the muse of dance. So I tried to make her look like she might be dancing in her own way.
Next to her is Thalia, the muse of comedy. I gave her a laughing mask.
At the bottom is the concept for the 10th muse. The 10th muse is a human being, who takes the essence from all the other muses and creates from that.
Well... I hope that will all work out idea-wise, concept-wise, aesthetic-wise.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
ramsingh
Veteran
portfolio
Ram Singh
Animation Film Design
Delhi University
New Delhi, India

Send a message via Yahoo to ramsingh
Smile story and name

Hello Nightlitsky,

i hope this is the right place for reply... im very new to these forum using.
the character im working on is named as Kaali one of the goddess.
worked more on it last night.. chk out the updates... feedbacks most welcome

good luck ..

sorry for my english..

Last edited by ramsingh : 01-05-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I will add more comments on your thread
Right now I'm still trying to finish the final sketch. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, lol. Just so it would look neat and clean. I'm trying to not panic and to keep things presentable instead of getting scared and painting things in random order :P

Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Work In Progress: The tenth muse

This is the final drawing before I paint. I wanted to make it look prettier but I really don't have enough time :(. Sorry if the last figure looks really weird. I'm kind of panicking:P

This drawing was done in Painter IX using the sketching pencil and the mechanical pencil brushes.

The next step is choosing the light source and color scheme.

And the more I look at it the more I wonder if this idea is a really, really weird one. Haha ^.^

Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

This is a rough layout of the colors and light source done in Painter IX.

Here I really don't have time to play with concepts and pre-visualizations, so this is is. I added a layer to get an idea of where the light will be, but i am currently just working on the canvas in Painter.

I tried to submit the final sketch earlier but since the sites gets really busy when I can do that, I have to wait for better times to submit.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

I wanted to have the background all figured out before continuing on to the tree. Or maybe I'm just procrastinating with the real work. >.>

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Work In Progress: The Tenth Muse

So now that I secured my background I can paint the rest over it.
I don't think I will be able to add anymore milestones because each time I post it gives me the error message that I already posted 90 seconds ago, even if it was an hour later, so I'm not going to risk it, in case I can make it to the finished line. And it probably doesn't matter that I write all that because no one is looking at this anyway, haha :D

Basically, I'm just playing around with two brushes, an opaque acrylic one and a wet acrylic one. Sometimes I blend the different shades to give it a more finished look. I'm still working on one canvas, sometimes I check the final drawing that I kept on a different layer, to see if I'm going too far from the original idea. Also, I will probably add the steam on another layer afterwards.We'll see. And voila!

That will be all the milestones I'm putting up and now I will just work on the rest today.

If for any very strange reason I have enough time to add more props into the distance, I will.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Nightlitsky
Animatrice en Herbe

portfolio
Natalie Hebner
Fort Myers, USA

Work In Progress: The Tenth Muse

I have time for one more maybe?....: \
More heads done....

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
DougFerreira
animator/illustrator
Doug
São Paulo, Brazil

Hi Brigite! I can't wait to see this finished,I am very curious and thank god they gave us some extra time anh ? don't give up! and thanks for the sugestion I will try that!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Ataulfo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Iban Egaña
Barcelona,

Hi Brigitte,
You are moving on the right direction, but hurry up, the challenge its near to finish.
Background looks great.
Thanks for the help on my threat.
Keep it up my friend, and the best of luck for you in final.

Thread Closed share thread