CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Legacy - Gallery/Finished Work: 3D (archive)
Login register
  share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-30-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
rune
Veteran

Student

Smile Crawling spider animation

Hi, this is my first post here...

My name is Rune and I've been working with 3d graphics for four years as a hobby. My modeling and character animation skills are not very good. Instead I like to work on developing various animation techniques and effects.

One of my current projects is to create a walking system which can be used to make a character walk along a given path. It currently has support for changes in speed with automatically adjusted step length and for walking on uneven ground, and I also plan to make support for automatic blend between various walk cycles, such as a blend from walking to running when the speed increases.

You can see an animation created with this system here:

http://runevision.com/3d/anims/#42

It's a spider crawling over an uneven surface. All comments are much appreciated, especially constructive ones.

More animations here:

http://runevision.com/3d/anims/

I should mention that I use a free 3d package called POV-Ray, which is entirely script-based with no graphical user-interface. It also has no support for bones or any kind of character animation at all, so these things I code myself.

Other 3d packages probably already have support for a walking system like the one I'm developing, but probably implemented in some very different ways. I like to make my own systems though, for the challenge of it, and because it's free.

I don't know if this post is somehow off-topic for this board or on the edge of what is normally being discussed here. If so, please let me know.

Rune

Last edited by rune : 04-06-2005 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Updated link to animation

Old 04-30-2002, 08:49 PM   #2
Chong
relax

Animator
USA

I think it's pretty cool. I've never used a walking system so this may be a dumb question. Was the Actual Walking animation of this spider generated by the "walking system?" Or Did u Animate a spider walking and then run it through your system so it would walk along the surface?

Old 04-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #3
tpe
Know-it-All

portfolio
Tim Evison
Copenhagen, Denmark

That is really impressive, especially the way it changes for the terrain. Just for the purposes of showing off the work it would have been nice to see some more speed and direction changes.

tpe

Old 04-30-2002, 11:37 PM   #4
rune
Veteran

Student

Quote:
Originally posted by Chong
I think it's pretty cool. I've never used a walking system so this may be a dumb question. Was the Actual Walking animation of this spider generated by the "walking system?" Or Did u Animate a spider walking and then run it through your system so it would walk along the surface?

Thanks for the comments Chong!

The term "walking system" is just something I chose to call it. I don't have any experience with other 3d packages and their features.

The walking-path (a spline function), the surface, and some data defining the walk cycle is passed on to the walking system. The walking system then generates data about where each step should be, when it should happen and how it should be aligned etc. and from that it calculates the position of each foot and the body for the current frame. Using some simple inverse kinematics etc. the character is then automatically animated based on that data.

Rune

Old 04-30-2002, 11:39 PM   #5
rune
Veteran

Student

Quote:
Originally posted by tpe
That is really impressive, especially the way it changes for the terrain. Just for the purposes of showing off the work it would have been nice to see some more speed and direction changes.

tpe

Thanks tpe!

On the page I linked to is another animation made with the walking system where it is an alien character walking. Later I will also make some more animations with the system which will better show what it can do.

For the spider I think it could maybe be cool to make it crawl over rocks bigger than itself and from the ground up on a wall... I also plan to implement support for characters walking up and down stairs.

Rune

Old 04-30-2002, 11:46 PM   #6
lildragon
Enter the Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Tito Belgrave
Character Artist - Freelance
Toronto, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to lildragon

rune I 'm not worthy man not only do you STILL use Pov-Ray with all the advancements in 3D apps out there, but you manage to simulate the walk of probably one of the hardest things to animate, a SPIDER!!! ... I'm in awe at your dedication to not only the app but also convinicely animated a spider on terrain

cheers

Old 05-01-2002, 12:14 AM   #7
rune
Veteran

Student

Quote:
Originally posted by lildragon
rune I 'm not worthy man not only do you STILL use Pov-Ray with all the advancements in 3D apps out there, but you manage to simulate the walk of probably one of the hardest things to animate, a SPIDER!!! ... I'm in awe at your dedication to not only the app but also convinicely animated a spider on terrain

cheers

Hey, thanks Tito! So POV-Ray is not completely unknown here... POV-Ray has advanced too with things like radiosity, photon mapping and isosurfaces, but there's still no build in animation features... But for people interested in both 3d graphics, programming, and possibly math too, POV-Ray is the perfect way to combine those interests...

Rune

Old 05-01-2002, 02:30 AM   #8
henry
Quayaim

Graphics designer (as if)

simply put, you rock! :airguitar :airguitar :airguitar

bye from henry

Old 05-01-2002, 02:49 AM   #9
rune
Veteran

Student

Quote:
Originally posted by henry
simply put, you rock! :airguitar :airguitar :airguitar

bye from henry

Hehe, thank you Henry!

Rune

Old 05-01-2002, 03:22 AM   #10
JacquesD
The Grim Reaper

portfolio
Jacques Defontaine
Freelance Artist
Soignies, Belgium

Wow, very interesting system, have you ever considered implementing this for another 3D package??, LightWave for example , that would be really great, besides I don't know any other 3D soft that does that(except in house tool).

Keep on the great work.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:06 AM   #11
AnimaLMotheR
Full Metal Jacket

Nightmares!!!

Bra jobba mann.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:39 AM   #12
visionmaster
Frequenter

incredible job !

if you need betatester.........please call me...

Old 05-01-2002, 06:51 AM   #13
TheHobbit
none

Send a message via ICQ to TheHobbit Send a message via AIM to TheHobbit
Simply amazing...

Pov Ray is pretty cool. I tried it once and it just wasn't my thing at the time(nothing was though), maybe in the future I'll try it for fun. Your extremely talented to do everything you've already done though and its inpirational to just see your work. I love the test you did with the streaming water particles the most! My favorite!

Old 05-01-2002, 06:57 AM   #14
xynaria
QED
xynaria
Antarctica

Very simple ...very well done.... very impressive..Great!

(Goes off to explore web site)

Whoo! great site too.. those ripples work really well as do all of it,
Falls over in admiration.

Last edited by xynaria : 05-01-2002 at 07:13 AM.

Old 05-01-2002, 07:08 AM   #15
urgaffel
All I remember was shavin

portfolio
Peter Åsberg
Experienced Artist
Codemasters
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to urgaffel
I'm very impressed. I think Lildragon said it best, so I'll just add:

:xtreme:

share thread