which book to get ??

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2003
which book to get ??

which book do you recommend:
Inside LW 7
Visual Quickstart Guide
Essential Lightwave 7.5

i know the basics of lightwave and want to learn more about lighting, texturing, animating etc
thanks

web/animation designer

06 June 2003
I don't know about the other two, but you can't go wrong with Inside LW 7. Great book...I learned quite a bit from it. It's like LW's second manual.
--------------
Get Into Adobe After Effects

06 June 2003
I would get books specific for each of those....there's a bunch of books on lighting theory, I believe Leigh's book will be out soon for texturing, and the Animator's Survival Kit is a must have for animation. That's what I would recommend...you said you know the basics...and that's about all those books will show you already...so why not get books that will have a bit more information...that's what I would do.

06 June 2003
I have inside lightwave seven and it is fantastic. It, as Triple G said, is like a second manual (and a thiker one at that) It covers the how toos of lightwaves greatest features and has alot of info. It also incorporates some of Dan Ablans experience into some of the explanations, like why Field rendering is good for broadcast animations etc. It covers the very simple (hair usage, realistic human modeling and lighting) to the very complex(Motion Capture data usage, Soft body dynamics like cloth, and expressions). It also has a great CD. I usually consult this book before my lightwave manual acutally.

-Captain

06 June 2003
Here's a sampling of some of the books on my desk. I would highly recommend the following:

All-purpose Lightwave: Inside Lightwave 7
Texturing: Digital Texturing and Painting
Lighting/Rendering: Digital Lighting and Rendering
Animation: Lightwave 3D 7 Character Animation
The Animator's Survival Kit
The Illusion of Life
Digital Character Animation (Vol. 1&2)
--------------
Get Into Adobe After Effects

06 June 2003
sry for hijacking the thread , but i also have a question about which book i should get. I'm currently reading Inside Lightwave, and want to go into modeling. Is there any good book that can be recommended, or should i do some online tuts. (I would love to have a book, because im lazy and dont want to search the web)

books

btw: sebek27, buy inside. Has helped me a lot.

06 June 2003
for beginners I'd say the Essential guide is the best bet.....IMHO!

But all the books are worth having and you will learn from all of them!

06 June 2003
I would think it best to wait and see what LW 8 is like. Could be that things are added/changed that make passages of those books obsolete.

Ablan will have his Inside LW8 out sometime after the release, right? How long, I don't know.
I would certainly put that book at the top of the list.
I would guess those books are coming down in price since 8 is due? Hopefully there are a lot of big additions. Inside LW7 wasn't much different then Inside LW6, at least for me.

06 June 2003
I should have a tutorial on modeling a character out soon in pdf format and it will get posted here and a few other sites. Be on the look out for it....it'll be pretty detailed and hopefully helpful for begininng and advanced users. Working on it currently, thinking it should be done by the end of this week.

06 June 2003
definatly Inside Lightwave

06 June 2003
remi i will be waiting for the tutorial!!!
always no matter if the tutorial are about the same topic, each one always have new trick,

06 June 2003
cool remi...can u pm me? nevertheless i think it would be plugged.

and btw: thanks for sharing

06 June 2003
Quote: I would guess those books are coming down in price since 8 is due? Hopefully there are a lot of big additions. Inside LW7 wasn't much different then Inside LW6, at least for me.

Glad you like the INSIDE book!

Although, except for the head modeling, I'm not sure how you can say that Inside 7 is not different than Inside 6. Aside from it being 300 pages larger, the tutorials are new, and more detailed. There's a full plug-in list, motion capture, all kinds of stuff...

Anyway. Inside LightWave 8 will be out as soon as possible.

I'm working on it, as well as LIGHTWAVE 8 KILLER TIPS with Randy Sharp as co-author.

Thanks,
Dan

06 June 2003
sebek, are you moving over to lw??

hoefully i'm going to be writing a tutorial on point by point modeling a car soon, if you are moving over from c4d or getting lw as well, then you might be intereted in it.

dont know what the books are like though.

Good luck,

Will

06 June 2003
Inside is a must have in my opinion. Another one I like because it hit on texturing fairly heavily was LightWave Applied. I also liked Jen's (celshader) character rigging chapter. I'll confess though that I never read that chapter till Jen challeneged me to do so. Thanks Jen!

Insider, details on 'LIGHTWAVE 8 KILLER TIPS'. Please, pretty please!

Thread Closed share thread