Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Daniel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2008   #1
Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Daniel

Daniel is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Storyboards / pre-visualization: Atlantis Character

Last edited by dboydesign : 11 November 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #2
good luck

Old 11 November 2008   #3
RiYaD90: Thanks! Good luck to you too!

We landed on the Legend of Atlantis after looking at a ton of different myths and legends that we all liked. We're not gonna use it in the sense that Plato did, where it was above land and set up as a metaphor to explain his political views, but rather let our imaginations loose and see what happened if Atlantis survived the sinking into the sea (Poseidons wife lived there, according to the legend, so we figured he'd might have a hand in letting the place live on )

Also we liked the idea of all that water (which arguably is gonna take a lot of problem solving to get to look right in the animation, but hell.. we wanted a challenge :P ), and a society that uses steam to run its systems under water. Opens up for some cool ideas for how they generate their steam as well... might be they tap in through the seabed and reach magma to heat water up or something like that... anywhoo... 'nuff ramblin' from my side!

Right... we thought we'd kick things off with a couple of quick concept art explorations.

First one is a few pallette studies, just to get a feel for what kinda colors we can use. Second one is a quick idea of a character... sort of an evolved human, that still relies on air to breathe, but can deal with a lot of water :P In no way a final design, but we wanted to throw a couple of ideas out there.

[EDIT] I farked up the image upload thingy... I is noob :P Actual images in the posts underneath... [/EDIT]

dCepT/Fredrik

Last edited by dCepT : 11 November 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #4
Storyboards / pre-visualization: Moodboard

Initial thoughts on colors and pallettes to be used in order to ensure consistency on the visual elements in the film.

Concept by dCepT

Last edited by dboydesign : 11 November 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #5
Storyboards / pre-visualization: Character Concept

Character concept by dCepT

Last edited by dboydesign : 11 November 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Old 11 November 2008   #6
Really good

Some really intresting and fresh idea you have there. Will definitly follow the progress of your work.

Old 11 November 2008   #7
Thank you, but I have to say that my team mate dCepT made those concepts.

I did put the team information on the top but it was written over when uploading concepts..

So the team is:

dboydesign: 3D/Team Leader.
dCepT: Concept Artist/AD
Skullsong: Concept Artist/3d artist.

Old 11 November 2008   #8
ValenUA: Thanks man! Glad you like our ideas so far... They'll probably change a lot as we progress and get the visuals more down, but we felt we got off to some sort of a start today at least... hehe... dboy started out on some particle effects and stuff we need, so he'll be posting those when they're presentable as well

dC

Old 11 November 2008   #9
nice work

Luv ur story and wish u all the best ...

also i really like ur Character Concept .. Looking forward to see some coold stuff!

Old 11 November 2008   #10
This sounds tough. I Really hope you guys can pull it off because it will be absolutely gorgeous if you do. I can definitely see where problem solving skills will be important when dealing with the water. Best of luck guys!

I love the Character concept.

(subscribed for sure)

-Joel

Old 11 November 2008   #11
Thank you shehanRN and RageOfAges!Yeah those concepts are great. dCepT did a great job there. This is so much fun making even im sitting here tearing my hair apart on the water simulation.. ( trying to make a good looking water with only displacement and no thierd party plugin.) This is beacuse we want fast render times. Even then this is so much fun and cant wait to get up and throw my self down in front of the computer!

We will keep you guys updated for more information and concepts about this project!

Old 11 November 2008   #12
Haha. Hairpulling seems to be a natural part of the procedure for a project like this!
For the water you do have quite a few options. If you don't have any scenes where the surface of the water is actually broken (as in the entire animation takes place underwater), you could easily get away with some kind of overlay in your preferred compositing app, or using a depth channel, you could create a fog and tweak the settings to look like water.
If there is a scene where the surface is broken, you could create a "splash" blendshape on a dense plain or something like that. Regardless I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are lots of options for faking it. Personally I would go for the depth channel/motion graphics. Even though after effects can be slow, It would still be days faster than rendering out all that water. Yikes!

-Cheers

Old 11 November 2008   #13
haha yeah!!

Thank you for taking time to reply and those great advise on the underwater effect, I will of course try to do this in a After Effects. But right now we are on the surface Im trying to figure out a way to move a animated object on a animated water surface. Also trying to find out away to make water breaks away from that moving object. The last part is not 100% necessary. But woud be cool to achieve. So long late nights and lots of coca cola, this is awesome (thank god, that I have 2 weeks off right now!)

I just wish that I have some advanced scripting knowledge :P

Old 11 November 2008   #14
Hey man. What software are you using? I have a MAX Plugin that could be exactly what you are looking for.

Old 11 November 2008   #15
Originally Posted by Pyke: Hey man. What software are you using? I have a MAX Plugin that could be exactly what you are looking for.

http://charles.hollemeersch.net/Art...-3ds-max-plugin

Hope this helps...

Thread Closed share thread