game companies that usa SOFTIMAGE|XSI

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2002   #1
game companies that usa SOFTIMAGE|XSI

cound some ppl post some game companies that usa SOFTIMAGE|XSI.
even if you know 1 is already enough, just post a way, let it be a help thread for XSI ppl wanting to work in game industry with XSI.
thanks

Old 05 May 2002   #2
come on ppl, you got to know some, don';t be lazy

Old 05 May 2002   #3
Wish I knew, I believe that monolith was a Soft house, but I think they are making the switch to Maya. Not sure if they have done that yet though.

Old 05 May 2002   #4
I don't think that XSI is much used for games. For that price you can buy a few Max or Lightwave seats. I think that's the reason. Don't know any gamecompany that use XSI.

Old 05 May 2002   #5
ur best bet is japan. japan uses softimage for all there games pretty much. sega is the biggest user of softimage. actually they even had a special edition softimage that game with all the models, textures, and animations from the game shenmue. it costs like $200,000. but the whole game with it pretty much. and jet grind future was all done in softimage.

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/Cs/

Old 05 May 2002   #6
In Italy i work in videogame agency and used XSI for model and level
your look at
Playstos
other is Milestone ( superbike 2001 )

Old 05 May 2002   #7
in japan softimage is more used
tekken - wipeout - dead or alive 1-2-3 -resident evil ecc ecc is make with softimage 3d-xsi

Old 05 May 2002   #8
Yeah, most Japanese game companies do use Softimage, but they still use mainly Softimage3D. My current company does as a matter of fact. XSI hasn't had very good polygon modelling tools until 2.0, so that may have something to do with it. Plus, since most of these companies have been using Soft3D for years and it still works for them, they haven't seen a need to buy the more expensive XSI.

The Sega thing Parasite7's talking about is called the Game Power Kit. It comes with over 60 plug-ins for Softimage3D that were used when creating Shenmue. But the price is actually 250,000 yen, not dollars. A huge difference there.

Personally, I hope most of these companies move over to XSI sometime soon. Because Softimage3D is kind of getting old.

Old 05 May 2002   #9
check their site....

I'm a big fan of XSI 2.0.1. The big thing they need to do is lower their price. That's what Maya did and companies started switching over from Max. XSI is such a powerful, yet easy to use package and it's only going to get better. I know Namco used it for the latest Pacman game (although I'm not sure if that's good publicity for XSI......kinda like Lightwave showing off 'Jimmy Neutron' *cringing*), and it was used in Virtua Fighter 4. I'm not sure what aspects of it were used for Virtua Fighter 4, but they were showcasing it on their site. www.softimage.com

I'm with you, I'm anxiously awaiting the day XSI takes over the industry. It's only a matter of time.

Old 05 May 2002   #10
kamikazerussell you are da man! i love XSI and i love you for loving XSI yah it's only a matter of time, the next XSI release is gonna be even more HUGE. maya's price drop was only meaning that it's going down and afraid of competition.

Old 05 May 2002   #11
Softimage was at least used to make Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast by Raven software, not sure if it was 3d or XSI though.

Old 05 May 2002   #12
I heard that a couple of divisions of Electronic Arts in BC, Canada were switching over to XSI.

Old 05 May 2002   #13
Thanks for the kind words Vic.....I was wondering.....how many game companies are up in the Vancouver area? I noticed you were from there and I must say, I love that town.

Old 05 May 2002   #14
yes EA in bc and mainframe are switching to XSI.

kamikazerussell, now thanks for your kind words about my town yes it's really beautiful indeed.
well, there are atleast a dozen of game companies in the small vancouver that i know/knew of (might have forgottten) and from time to time i always read somewhere a new name of a game company. i guess there is alteast 20 companies in the whole vancouver area.

i'm passing EA HQ almost every time i go to college. their building is like the city itself

Old 05 May 2002   #15
Vancouver

Hey, Im new here and live in Vancouver.

Vancouver has quite a few companies the only downside is that there is little to no hiring going on. I graded VFS a little while back and of 3 or 4 classes of 3D only 4 people have jobs...I know there are multitudes of factors when it comes to employment I'm just saying don't pack your bags and head to Vancouver seeking your fortune. On a positive EA is hiring...very very slowly

Thread Closed share thread