Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-09-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
d_jnaneswar
Know-it-All

Dwarakanath Jnaneswar Ekkirala
India

basketball dribble

hi guys.

i have a humanoid character and i set up its rig. i want him to dribble a basketball. now how do i go about doing that? do have to keyframe the ball seperately? since i want him to slamdunk it, wont it be too tedious to keyframe the ball to stick to his hand as he jumps and slams?

any related tut will be of great help.

please enlighten.

thanks.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:18 PM   #2
stzaske
Frequenter

We'll I'm no expert here, but I'll explain one scene I animated with a bouncing basketball.

I point constrained the ball to a locator, and then point constrained that locator to three other locators. One in each hand (if you plan on doing any crossover moves) and one one a locator I called "BB_Landing". Then you only need to animate the "BB_Landing" location and then what hand its bouncing back to. I used a separate rotation contraint to control ball rotation, and I animated that later. I used expressions to squish the ball as it reach 0 on the y axis.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Create a character with REALLY long arms. I animated a child character and noticed almost immediated that the large ball to child ratio made it extremely hard to dribble because my character could hardly reach the top/center of the basketball. There just wasn't enough extra arm motion to aim the ball and push downwards. Also, since my character was so small, it was extremely hard NOT to dribble on his toes. So I STRONGLY suggest you build a character with REALLY long arms, or at least large compared to the ball.

2. Video tape yourself dribbling. You'd be amazed how much time you spend palming the ball and how much of the time the ball spends at the top of its arc.

Good luck, -=STZ=-

Old 06-10-2003, 04:39 AM   #3
d_jnaneswar
Know-it-All

Dwarakanath Jnaneswar Ekkirala
India

thanks stzaske,

that was a good idea. i feel it working already.
i will try it out and then post the animation in the wip section.

thanks again.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:29 AM   #4
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

cant wait to see it!

Old 06-12-2003, 01:18 AM   #5
loked
Pretender

Judd Simantov
Character TD
Naughty Dog
Santa Monica, US

Hey,

I just landed a contract where we are building a character for a basketball show on TV. It's really coming along nicely and is looking awesome. I cant wait to actually start making him play though. Once it's complete, I'll also post some stuff. Right now though, here is a pic of what the ball looks like.

Later
Loked

Old 06-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #6
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

that looks sweet man. Got 4just like it at home hehehe!

Old 06-16-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
modi
Know-it-All

Whoah, why is everyone making a film on Basketball, i'm currently working on a basketball fim. I'm not very good at modelling, but i'm having fun with him.

http://www.modianimation.com/newpose.jpg

stzaske , his arms are really long, i mean really long. it almost touches the ground when he is standing upright.

loked - Any tips on texturing the ball or other realted stuff u are working on, some pics would be cool.

Cheers.

GO SPURS!!!

Last edited by modi : 06-16-2003 at 09:50 AM.

Old 06-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
loked
Pretender

Judd Simantov
Character TD
Naughty Dog
Santa Monica, US

Hey Modi,

I saw your character somewhere else actually and I really liked it alot. I think it's got a really nice feel to it. The character that I'm working on is not really allowed to be shown as of yet. Once I'm allowed to go public with him, I definitely will put some pics up.

In terms of helping with texturing the ball. I really just used photo's from a ball and painted it in photoshop. I have a bump, spec and color map.

Keep us posted, I really want to see more of your character!!

later
Loked

Old 06-17-2003, 05:21 AM   #9
markbones
Frequenter

Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by stzaske
A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Create a character with REALLY long arms. I animated a child character and noticed almost immediated that the large ball to child ratio made it extremely hard to dribble because my character could hardly reach the top/center of the basketball. There just wasn't enough extra arm motion to aim the ball and push downwards. Also, since my character was so small, it was extremely hard NOT to dribble on his toes. So I STRONGLY suggest you build a character with REALLY long arms, or at least large compared to the ball.

2. Video tape yourself dribbling. You'd be amazed how much time you spend palming the ball and how much of the time the ball spends at the top of its arc.

stzaske - I agree completely. For my final school project/animation I did a basketball animation, and the arm issue definitely came up - my character's arms were just too short to do crossovers and between the legs, etc. Locators and contraints are a great idea (should have done that too).

Old 06-17-2003, 05:44 AM   #10
stzaske
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally posted by loked

In terms of helping with texturing the ball. I really just used photo's from a ball and painted it in photoshop. I have a bump, spec and color map.

eh? I found texturing the ball to be one of the TOUGHEST parts of my assignment. How do you keep the poles from pinching your texture?

I posted a message here on cgtalk a long time ago seeing if ANYONE could actually bump map a basketball, and got no takers, so I'm curious to know how you accomplished it. Texturing a perfect sphere is trickier than it seems.

-=STZ=-

Old 06-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #11
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

isn't there some clever way using the rectangular to polar co-ordinates plugin on yer texture in plopshop?

Old 06-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #12
modi
Know-it-All

Hey Loked, i just happened to check out ur website and in the gallery section i saw some of the pics related to basketball, awesome stuff. As i mentioned earlier i'm working on a basketball film and i was wondering if u could give me any tips on how u made the net for the hoops.Did u model the net or is it a texture with transparency an dare u using dynamics to animate it?? So many questions, would be cool if u could give me some tips.

Here is something i'd done earlier, its just a pose test(still on stepped) and its IKJOE, my new char would be doing tons of things like that and more exaggerated
http://www.modianimation.com/slam.avi
cheers - Modi.

Old 06-18-2003, 09:40 AM   #13
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

I like this man Loked - he's got it sorted. There are indeed two things that matter - basketball and animation. nuff sed.

Old 06-18-2003, 09:49 AM   #14
loked
Pretender

Judd Simantov
Character TD
Naughty Dog
Santa Monica, US

Hey Modi,

Thanks for the compliments. The latest job I'm working on is a completely new basketball character and he's a lot hotter than the one's you see there. Once everything is said and done I'll show you it.

I really like your animation I think it's awesome!!

In terms of making the net, I dont remember exactly how I did it then, but I would probably go with a cylinder and texture it with a opacity maps and all that. If you going to get really close up to it, then you might want to actually model everything. Either way I'd make it a softbody or use cloth to drive it with Wraps. Which ever one suits you better.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Hey anthonymcgrath,

Without a doubt, those are by far the only two things in life that matter. Do you actually play ball ?? I came on a tour to England and played against the national team while playing for the South African national team.

later
Loked

Old 06-18-2003, 10:13 AM   #15
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

Yeah Loked, been playin on and off for about 8years now so not really all that long. I was playing for a team not so long back (nothing like the national team mind!!!) but fractured ankle and wrist year or two ago has slowed things down somewhat. Getting better but not like it was. thems the breaks I guess!
got a court over the road from where I live so at least I can keep on top of my 3's if nowt else! not easy mind with busted wrist still playin up and of course the absolutely rotten british weather but neither are really an excuse hehehe!

Funny how your from South Africa - I used to live there myself when I were younger (sprog size mind!) and my longterm girlfriend and her family are South African too! If your ever over in Britain again, let us know man wont ya!

I'm looking to do a character doing some dribblin tricks in a similar manner to the nike freestyle ad but need new pooter to get started on it.

Thread Closed share thread