Cinematic Game Icons - Character / Environment - Speaky

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2003   #1
Cinematic Game Icons - Character / Environment - Speaky

Hello folks,

This will be my first entry into such a challenge. I've been inspired to dig out my Wacom and give it a go.

I'm currently imagining a crashed spacecraft and a lone survivor who has managed to crawl to their freedom, and is gathering his energy to move on. Maybe he's an escaped convict? Maybe he's on an important mission? Maybe I should plan the story first?

Whatever, I like to get stuck in and develop the pic as it goes. I'll post some WIP shots as I go, and come up with a nice cheesy storyline as it emerges.

Bye

Old 06 June 2003   #2
Ok, just blocking the main elements in layers

Old 06 June 2003   #3
I've added a gradient backdrop, which will form the basis for the sky. Also, something has just exploded on the ship, which I've placed behind a bit of damage for contrast.

Old 06 June 2003   #4
Okay, blocking in some shading very roughly... I always work extremely roughly at first so that it's easy to guage the composition of the piece.

Old 06 June 2003   #5
Ok, am adding more depth to the shading, trying to picture where the explosion will be be reflected off of the wreckage etc. Look closely, and you'll see I've started to define the character's features with a very subtle colour which might be coming from behind and to the left of the POV ... a moon of some sort I would imagine, since the sun is setting off to the left somewhere.

Old 06 June 2003   #6
I've defined the explosion and the already billowing smoke a bit better, and started to put a bit more detail onto the spacecraft wreckage. It does look like a space blob at the moment, but it'll become clearer as I work on it. I've added some manacles to the character, which will have little lights and readouts on them eventually. He also has eyepieces which will glow and illuminate his features a bit. Must resist doing too much detail too early, though.

Maybe these implants serve to handicap him, if he's a dangerous criminal. Hmmmmm.

Old 06 June 2003   #7
Lotta progress pics. Good job. Coming along nicely. Looking forward to the detail work.

Old 06 June 2003   #8
Here I am trying to resolve the crashed spaceship a bit better, with a mangled wing strut type thing going on. Added stronger highlights onto the figure, and just couldn't resist giving him some tacky green glowing eyepieces.

Oh, and the ground. Looks a little like a sea of mud when I want it to look like a dry, barren rocky soil. Must rework.

Old 06 June 2003   #9
Hey Gamoron,

Thanks for that!

Old 06 June 2003   #10
this one's coming along nicely ....keep it up

Old 06 June 2003   #11
You have an interesting coloring method It's coming along nicely...though I think you should really try to push the depth between the figure and the vehicle a lot more. You were probably going to anyways,though

Old 06 June 2003   #12
I've changed the ground, looks a lot less like thick wet mud. The sky I'm still experimenting with and will probably change again.

Spookadilly : thanks for posting! I've added a low opacity flat colour layer in between the figure and the spaceship to simulate a tiny bit of atmospheric haze. My 'interesting colouring method' comes from a lack of patience ... it sometimes works, it sometimes lets me down....

Schmu_20mol : Danke viel mal! Thanks for the supportive comments.

Old 06 June 2003   #13
Well, it's getting redder by the minute. I've decided to make a move to brighten the scene a little, so that the character is lit on one side, which brings out his features better. I'm probably going to have to rework his shadow a bit later.

The whole left hand side looks like it needs something to balance the picture. I'm thinking maybe a big classic SF planet maybe, and a few rocks too...

Old 06 June 2003   #14
Wink

Cool progress!

I agree with you,mybe that's too red now...what about a colder light (blue or violet or another one...) comin' from the left of the pic'...it could be interestin' to make a contrast between the planet and the crash. Just my lil' suggestion

keep it goin'!

Old 06 June 2003   #15
I hate when the server is to busy and the reply gets lost!:annoyed: Anyways. It is a little red, but it doesn't hurt it. Maybe more green in the shadows? And as for balance, maybe you could widen the image out or crop it up?

edit: looking again looks like there is plenty of green in there so you can scratch my first suggestion.

share thread