CPU for intel 1u server

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2008   #1
CPU for intel 1u server

Hi,

I've got the opportunity to buy one of these servers quite cheaply: http://www.intel.com/Products/Serve...SH-overview.htm

According to the mobo information it can take any skt 775 CPU. I'm planning on using it purely for rendering and wasn't sure whether to go for a q6600, a Xeon X3220 or something else?...they're around the same price and wasn't sure whether one would be better than the other for speed and reliability (especially with the passive heatsink supplied with the server).

Any suggestions?

BTW, the server comes with ddr2, ECC, 667 memory (4gb) if that would make a difference.

http://immersivevr.co.uk

Old 10 October 2008   #2
i cant see that page but the difference between the two chips is mainly that the xeon will be more reliable long term (rack mount servers are intended to run non stop for years) compared to consumer PCs that might only run for 16 hours a day for 3 years.

If they are the same price then go for the xeon but on the assumption that you are only going to use it when rendering you could spend any price difference on a better consumer chip.

Also remember that the xeon would probably overclock a litttle better if you wanted to go down that path. A jump from 2.4gig to around 4 might be worth it if you are comfy doing it. The Q6600 is a great chip though, mine stonks along

Old 10 October 2008   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread