TF2 Payload Map WIP - Pl_Boston

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2008
TF2 Payload Map WIP - Pl_Boston

Time to challenge myself with a payload map for Team Fortress 2. And as the name would suggest, it's theme is the Boston Tea Party - Blu Team being those nasty brits trying to get their tea to home base (the payload), and Red Team being those quaint colonials from the USA.

The payload will be a small ship you must cap all the way to end of the canals (does Boston have canals? Meh...) and eventually through the gates of the... tea... thingy... place...

So anyway. That's the basic premise.

Sketchy plan:

And some screens of some preliminary Hammer work:

So any ideas you guys have, anybody who has done some payload maps before, any criticisms would really be appreciated.

Last edited by cowtrix : 09 September 2008 at 07:06 AM.

09 September 2008
Updates:

More Redbull, then more mapping (mapping for pretty much the whole of today - someone make me stop!!)

Also - bad news. Following a Payload tutorial on the Valve wiki seems to be crashing TF2 when I try and run the map. Any clues?

09 September 2008
Hi, I'd just like to show you that we're having our 5th contest on tf2maps.net, and this time it's a 1 stage payload map.
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3707

I'd like to comment you on your map so far, but I can't see much than the orange dev textures (great that you do this step, playtesting is needed first indeed).
Except maybe your layout, you should take a look at pl_goldrush and pl_badwater, they all have a U or G form if you follow the track, the maps wrap around themselves a bit, and your layout is a bit straightforward.
But please, continue

09 September 2008
It does seem that your map will be a bit short, as well as it seems that it will be either way too easy or way too difficult for red team to stop the "cart" from progressing, mostly I see it as too easy either by getting under the boat in the water or by constantly flinging themselves at the large boat and standing on it with a flamethrower or something.

I really like the idea so far though, it looks like you've progressed a long way since your first TF2 map. Have you been joining in the weekly games with CG Talk still? I don't think I've seen your name in the roster for a while, unless you're playing under something else now.

We've had a few new maps added in that we're playtesting and PL is always popular once you've solved the crashing. I haven't touched PL yet so I can't offer you much help in getting it off the ground, sorry.

09 September 2008
Yay! I do love coming back to replies...

@SniperGen: Cool contest - anything for a TF2 t-shirt! But it looks like the ship idea violates rule two of the competition:

The cart may be any sensible cart sized model, the official bomb, snipergen's dirty bomb, the mining cars, the little alpine train thing, etc.

@Kromano: Thanks for the reply. Well I guess this is what playtesting is for. By the way, do the CGTalk servers playtest new maps at all?

As for the ship, My plan is to have something like this: The ship is just a big prop dynamic parented to the func_tracktrain as usual, but the cap area is only at the front of the ship (near the steering wheel or something?). So to move it forward, BLU team has to actually stand at the front area, not just anywhere on (or under) the ship. Also camping on it will be hard because while their capping they're sniper fodder.

As for the CGTalk gib-o-ramas, I've been missing them lately due to a timetable conflict. Hopefully I should be able to play a bit more now I'm on holidays.

As for length and general shape I decided to make it longer and curve it in a more U sort of form.

Like this.

Anyway, every building so far has had a sort of theme: building 2 is and alehouse, 3 is a storeroom, building 4 is a bank, 5 is a barracks, etc etc. Anyway, anybody else have ideas as to what some more buildings could be?

Okay, anyway hopefully by the end of this week I'll have a functioning map that I can playtest.

09 September 2008
BAM! Brainstorm...

Okay, say we have the ship being capped, and it comes to a closed midway gate, which is also a capture point so it doesn't roll backwards. BLU team has to cap a red control point to open the gate and continue - and red cannot capture that point again.

Holy crap that's going to be hard to pull off. I must be crazy.

Oh well.

09 September 2008
More updates. Just figuring out the layouts of the buildings so they flow and are usable is hard. I'm going to have to redo the entire bank building, and I don't even know how to start on the others...

Also I might have to consider moving the first red spawn point, as now it takes too long to get to the gate - not long enough for an engineer to build a teleporter entry, a dispenser and a sentry at a good spot.

Anyway, latest screens from Hammer:

09 September 2008
Originally Posted by cowtrix: @Kromano: Thanks for the reply. Well I guess this is what playtesting is for. By the way, do the CGTalk servers playtest new maps at all?

We play all manner of new maps, but we often need a reminder, so talk to Kirt and see if he'll put the map up for you, then join into a game and remind us to try it out when it's at a playable stage. You'll get oodles of feedback in game and after (probably more ingame than is useful though... people forget what they said after and you're too busy fragging to take critiques).

I like your idea for the boat, being at the wheel to keep it moving, just make sure there's room enough for multiple people to boost the speed the cart progresses at (as illogical as that may seem).

10 October 2008
Thanks kromano, I will indeedy. Thanks for the response.

Haven't got any screenshots, but I might as well give a little update. Right now I've just nodrawed the entire thing and am reapplying the dev materials from scratch to optimise the damn thing so it doesn't draw brushes were it doesn't need to. Hopefully we'll see the impact of that in frame rate and compile times.

That's step one on the current to do list

2. Actually put in a payload system, make it a functional map, attempt control point gate thingy idea.

3. Should have a functional map at this point. Then, hopefully, a whole lot of playtesting to show me were I (inevitably) have screwed up big time.

10 October 2008
Okay I have no idea what this is about... Any ideas?

10 October 2008
If that is supposed to be water there, you have a leak sir. Or you made your water brush wrong (only top side of the brush water, rest nodraws).
First post your compile log in http://interlopers.net/errors
To find your leak, after the compile in hammer go to map->load pointfile. The red line shows you the leak.

10 October 2008
Originally Posted by cowtrix: Thanks kromano, I will indeedy. Thanks for the response.

Haven't got any screenshots, but I might as well give a little update. Right now I've just nodrawed the entire thing and am reapplying the dev materials from scratch to optimise the damn thing so it doesn't draw brushes were it doesn't need to. Hopefully we'll see the impact of that in frame rate and compile times.

Optimization is king, if you ask me. People thought I was crazy when I made (significant) changes to ctf Escherhaus because it wasn't optimized. Their complaints were FPS was fine, you don't notice any glitches, what is there to optimize? If you ask me, I don't care if your map is a single cube room 128 units large or a complex network of caves and insane geometry. Treat every map with the same care and you'll create a masterpiece.

That said, nodraw shouldn't have an impact on compile times at all. It's still making all the same cuts in vis as it would normally, it's just the engine won't render those faces afterwards in the game engine.

As for your strangeness screenshot, I would agree. Leak. Either a leak, improperly textured water (as suggested) or you forgot to re-texture some nodraw faces.

10 October 2008
Originally Posted by kromano: That said, nodraw shouldn't have an impact on compile times at all. It's still making all the same cuts in vis as it would normally, it's just the engine won't render those faces afterwards in the game engine.

Really? Damnit... Oh well, already done it now.

Anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyway finished the first draft of the map, just fixing glitches, little problems, and then it's onto chucking in the payload thingy...

10 October 2008
Hey guys, here's a little update on some of the props that are going to be in the final map...

Anyway I don't know why the second pic isn't showing up, but it does when you click on it so oh well.

10 October 2008
Your props are looking pretty cool. Be forewarned about your rooftop being one single prop object. The entire object shares a single material property, so if you made your rooftop wood, the windows would make the same noise and have the same decals as wood too.

I'm looking forward to seeing your first release. It should be sweet!

Thread Closed share thread