Adobe Photoshop CS4 - GPU accelerated!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2008   #1
Adobe Photoshop CS4 - GPU accelerated!

Sounds like this release is going to make a lot of people happy. New, tabbed user interface, GPU accelerated throughout and we're also F I N A L L Y able to rotate the canvas! YAY!

Videos here:

http://www.mdialog.com/video/channe...-cs4-sneak-peek

Old 09 September 2008   #2
Cheers for the heads up Thomas.

That guys eyebrows are spectacular. If you watch it mute it looks like he has something he's terrified of on his monitor...

I'm not sold on the 'preset' workspaces, but as long as you can build/save you're own it's no big deal.

I quite like the pixel level zoom view - but again, I hope you can disable it also.

I fear change.

Old 09 September 2008   #3
Oh - and I'm very keen to see how 'throwing' the canvas around is going to work on a 10'000 pixel, multi-layered image...

Old 09 September 2008   #4
Looks good, GPU acceleration is a must - had to turn the sound off though, that guy's comments were driving me nuts..

Colt .45 XSI Video Tutorials

Old 09 September 2008   #5
top new features from adobe
http://www.adobe.com/products/photo...es/?view=topnew

Old 09 September 2008   #6
From an artists perspective, this seems to become the most useful release in a very loooong time.

Old 09 September 2008   #7
anyone know much about the 3d object painting in the CS4 extended version? doesn't say much or whether you can use layers etc

Old 09 September 2008   #8
Originally Posted by blank: anyone know much about the 3d object painting in the CS4 extended version? doesn't say much or whether you can use layers etc

You can drop existing layers onto the 3d layer (sort of like using the layer merge as a texture projection), but I don't believe you can texture paint in layers.

Old 09 September 2008   #9
I want the option to connect canvas rotation to physical rotation of the tablet.

Old 09 September 2008   #10
I agree it looks quite promising and includes features that are long overdue.
like the new canvas rotation that painter has for years
I am also interested in the feel and performance of it, hoping it can cope with a 4k+ picture being rotated and flipped frequently. oh yeah and what's with layers and stuff like that?

The 3d painting is weird though, in the previews they tell you that there's no unwrapping required... how about that?
I can't believe it's something similar to poly/vertex painting, doesn't look like it.
If it works as I suspect it to we got ourselves a worthy alternative to bodypaint and co.
As PS is pretty much standard for texture work it's nice for not having to switch apps.
well, we'll see.

The GPU accelerated pixel level zoom looks nice, but I have yet to grasp the necessity for it.
The UI looks tidied up quite a bit, wait and see if it really speeds things up.

Old 09 September 2008   #11
I played around with the beta a few months ago on a new 8-core Mac Pro. It was smooth as butter. (Though the image in question was more in the region of 4-6K... 16 bit though).

Originally Posted by AJ: Oh - and I'm very keen to see how 'throwing' the canvas around is going to work on a 10'000 pixel, multi-layered image...

Old 09 September 2008   #12
Photoshop- Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista)

Master collection- Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and Windows Vista)

Photoshop system requirement says certified for 64-bit Vista. Can someone clarify if Master collection is certified for Vista-64 or Vista-32 only?

Time to move from XP64 to Vista 64?

Old 09 September 2008   #13
Looks very interesting, and I'm tempted to upgrade but it's £323! to upgrade! WTF!

I don't want to start another debate about the difference in cost between the US and Europe (nearly twice the price BTW) But £323 is a lot of money.

- Garry

Old 09 September 2008   #14
Video won't play for me on linux... quel surprise

Sounds aweome though.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 09 September 2008   #15
Originally Posted by combination: Photoshop system requirement says certified for 64-bit Vista. Can someone clarify if Master collection is certified for Vista-64 or Vista-32 only?

Time to move from XP64 to Vista 64?

Flash may not be set up for 64 bit yet. There may be other programs that are 32 bit programs, while Photoshop is 64.

Thread Closed share thread