Apple or Samsung monitor?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2008
Apple or Samsung monitor?

Hi all.

I have a choice of monitors here.
1) A single Apple 20" Apple Cinema Display.
2) Two 22" Samsung 2243BWX monitors.

Or you could suggest a better solution that costs no more than the options above.

Weather I save cash or not is not an issue.
This will be for designing, which setup would work best?
(Generally would be using 3ds max, mudbox, photoshop etc.)

Thanks for your time and patience.

Your views and opinions are much appreciated!

09 September 2008
The apple screen has a great screen with very good colors, I don't know the samsung screens.

The apple screens though are due for update very soon.

(I love the limited amount of menu's on the apple screen, only brightness and power button)

2 screens are good for multitasking and when using advanced systems with many menus (such as Maya), which I personally prefer.
1 screen with good colors would be prefered for people making material for prints (photos and such)

09 September 2008
Unless things have changed in the last year or so, Apple and Samsung used the same "BRAND" screens, although there was a letter different in their model number.

You ended up paying extra to have the Apple Logo on it.

Go for the 2 screens.

Although....... not sure what you are paying for them, but I got dual Dell's which are quite nice, and I'm glad I got them.

09 September 2008
Pretty sure 2243BWX has a TN panel based on contrast and response time alone, for color work you need either a *VA or IPS panel which Apple monitors have, Samsung makes the PVA panels on most professional monitors, EIZO uses Samsung PVA panels on their FlexScan line.

TN is good for games due to their response times.

09 September 2008
Originally Posted by workbench: TN is good for games due to their response times.

if so i's not the same as the apple screens with their rather long responstime

09 September 2008
TN can be very fast but has a very limited viewing angle (dramatic colour changes when you move your head up and down by only 2inches) and not impressive colour gamut.

Apple has a H-IPS panel. There's much better gamut, broader viewing angle and far less backlight bleeding, exception made for the greens.

A-TW-IPS is the high-end level, developed for NEC. It includes a True White filter. I've never seen one.

S-PVA panels (Samsung created) are also much better than TN. They can have 10bit so there's less banding. They can have higher contrast than IPS and offer very good blacks.

For accurate colour work, I'd never get a TN panel. It can be tempting to have two larger panels side by side, but when your image drastically changes when viewing under an angle, and this increases inevitably on the larger panels, you won't be happy with your purchase.

What you can do is get one IPS or S-PVA (higher Q Samusngs, LaCie, yes, Dell's best series, Eizo,...) and get a same size TN as second monitor for your panels and things not colouir-critical.

09 September 2008
I've decided to purchase the HP LP2475W 24" H-IPS LCD monitor after a comprehensive read through web reviews on it.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mi...&ci_sku=KD911A8

Best LCD monitor for the price for photo work along with other features that make it stand apart from the rest of the pack for now.

09 September 2008
If you decide to spend a bit more, I would recommend getting the NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi. It's a fantastic monitor, with very good color reproduction and can be calibrated for great results for both video and printing. I've seen it at work and decided to buy one for home.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/de...spx?EDC=1132162

09 September 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread