LightWavers New to Motion Builder

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2003
LightWavers New to Motion Builder

Some good movies to start with from the 3DBuzz library of video tutorials. These helped to ground me a bit...
http://kb.kaydara.com/display/1n/in...id=&r=0.1349909

watch these to gain some perspective:
VTM2_-_MB_Pose_Controls.avi
VTM2_-_MB_Animating_Poses.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Characterizing.avi
VTM3_02_MB_Simple_Constraints.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Character_Controls.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Basic_Animation.avi
VTM1_-_MB_Animating_Character.avi

and for your peeps who want to get directly out of LightWave and into MB with those LWO models, here's a brief instruction set:
The way the workflow goes now is:

1. Model in LightWave
2. Setup properly named rig in Modeler using Skelegons 3DDave Rocks!
3. Convert Skelegons to Bones
4. Save .LWS file
5. Export as .FBX
6. Open, Characterize and animate in Motion Builder
7. Plot your character and animation
8. Merge .FBX into original LightWave scene file.
9. Light and Render

also: for those of you who don't like creating weightmaps, you can just use supporting Bones. Just make sure they are anchored to other bones so they don't float around in your characters skin.

Oh and...freeze those SubD models before exporting...and just replace the frozen model with your SUBD when you bring your animation back into LW.

That's what I know so far do0dZ!!!

Happy animating.

Last edited by policarpo : 07 July 2003 at 08:07 PM.

06 June 2003
Right Policarpo!

I'm not really an animator myself but after watching all the 3DBuzz VTM videos... I gave it a try and I must say that Motion Builder is the best 3D animation package I've seen/used so far!

Cheers

06 June 2003
Cool.

I'm posting a scene file that's ready to be exported and animated and brought back into LightWave for those of you who want to get up and running with a quality character.

Thanks go to the following people:

> Proton for making this cool little Zombie model available to all of us
> 3DDave for creating the Skelegon Rig for us to use
> Kurt30 for adjusting the Skelegon Rig to fit the Zombie Mesh

here it is: http://www.policarpo.us/tutorials/LightWaveMBSample.zip

just watch the video on Characterizing to get up to speed, and remember to plot your characters before merging them back into LightWave.

06 June 2003
Thanks all!
And thanks Policarpo, for bringing this program back to my attention.

06 June 2003
Motiobuilder is great! Its capabilites are fantastic!
I have to admit though that the interface is a tad confusing and not very clean. At first I was really intimitated by it.
I would prefer it to have a more LW- like interface.
Other than that I have only been playing with it for a few hours and I am already quite into loving it. Big thanks to Policarpo for helping me getting started, without him I would have been lost.
CU
Elmar

06 June 2003
Here's a movie from Kurt30 using some MoCap!

nice render dude!

BOO!

Last edited by policarpo : 06 June 2003 at 08:33 PM.

06 June 2003
This tool is really cool! I must warn anyone out there who hasn't used it yet...it's very addicting. Policarpo is da man!

06 June 2003
That model of the Ghost Zombie was from Proton. Works awesome with Motion Builder

06 June 2003
I like the skeleton movie! What kind of rendering is that? Is it a type of filter, or lighting? Does anyone know of any tutorials to get that kind of look? I especially like the white floor with shadows! Cool!!!
Thanks!
ps. My copy of Motionbuilder arrives on the 13th! yay!

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by policarpo
Here's a movie from Kurt30 using some MoCap!

That is one nice little anim.

I gots a Q. I've been up and running a few days with MB and have been able to take one of my models with the rig graciously suppied by 3DDave into MB, keyframe up a simple walk cycle, and then export back to LW. The problem is when in MB the char takes a few steps, actually moving, when exported back to LW it's like he is walking in place. Has anybody else experienced this?

- ub52

06 June 2003
Ok, here is something, that I have just found out:
MB seems to do some sort of joint- compensation even if it has not been set in LW before export. So dont forget to set that in LW...
Bad news is that MBs joint- comp seems to be a tad better than LWs own. What shall I say? MB just rocks!
CU
Elmar

06 June 2003
Re: LightWavers New to Motion Builder

Some good movies to start with from the 3DBuzz library of video tutorials. These helped to ground me a bit...
http://www.kaydara.com/support/docu...?filename=video

Happy animating.

What is the difference between the videos on Kaydara's site and the 3DBuzz.com ones? Does 3DBuzz.com have more videos because it's on CD?

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by ub52
That is one nice little anim.

I gots a Q. I've been up and running a few days with MB and have been able to take one of my models with the rig graciously suppied by 3DDave into MB, keyframe up a simple walk cycle, and then export back to LW. The problem is when in MB the char takes a few steps, actually moving, when exported back to LW it's like he is walking in place. Has anybody else experienced this?

- ub52

hrmm...not sure. i just did a quick test with Proton's Zombie character, and after plotting the Skeleton, it imported fine and walked moving along the Z axis in LW. Were you doing the Walk Cycle based off of a single Pose video tutorial?

06 June 2003
Were you doing the Walk Cycle based off of a single Pose video tutorial?

Yeah I was working from one of the BUZZ VTM's. The one where you create a single pose and then copy and paste in the pose control window with match selected effector to rough out a few steps.

-ub52

Thread Closed share thread