CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya > Maya Character Setup
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
SNARK
Veteran
Tim Lawrence
USA

LowPoly Meshes For Animation Replaced By HighPoly Meshes For Renders

Hi,

I am new to Maya Animation (though I have used the polygon tools for modeling for some time). I understand that a LowPolygon model can be rigged and animated and then the LowPolygon model may be replaced with the finished HighPolygon model for renders. How is this accomplished? Might someone point me to some specific tutorials? It would be wonderful if I could rig and animate a LowPoly model while I was still building the High Frequency mesh.

Thanks!

~S.~

Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
isoparmB
Wave man

Martin
wandering in Singapore
Makati, Philippines

Assuming your rig is completed and your low poly is a fair approximation of your final model, you can use referencing in your production pipeline. As long as you don't change the existing names of the objects and attributes in your control rig, you can replace the referenced scene in your animation files.

So while animation is busy out blocking out and animating files using fully rigged lores models, the rigging team has time to skin and fix the weighting on the hires models. These can then be switched out before the animation files hit the lighting department.

Take note though about certain issues in referencing (for example, the need to use namespaces for every referenced file), but once you've settled the issues there are numerous other advantages such as lower file sizes for animation files and the flexibility to propagate global changes on an asset already in animation.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread