Arbitrary Mesh and Naughty Dog

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2008
Arbitrary Mesh and Naughty Dog

I was looking through their (Naughty Dog) GDC Conference 2008 stuff. Really interesting. What caught my attention in the modeling department is that "Arbitrary Mesh" was mentioned lot and they said they were glad to use it.

I was wondering if anyone please could explain what (the heck is) Arbitrary Mesh?

See here: Autodesk Mudbox: Integration and Use with Autodesk 3ds Max and Autodesk Maya

08 August 2008
an arbitrary mesh = any mesh (methinks)

Edit: OK, maybe not...just thought so from the german translation...

No Idea what they mean by it...

Last edited by Piflik : 08 August 2008 at 06:25 PM.

01 January 2009
Just saw this now... not sure if you still want the answer... if so let me know and I'll explain a little.

01 January 2009
Originally Posted by loked: Just saw this now... not sure if you still want the answer... if so let me know and I'll explain a little.

Don't feel obligated to explain but I am kind of curious...

Its seems really interesting...

01 January 2009
Originally Posted by loked: Just saw this now... not sure if you still want the answer... if so let me know and I'll explain a little.

I'm very interested! Please explain whenever you may.

01 January 2009
its a pretty common technique, that people may call something different, but basically for us, we create a clean "quadded" mesh (represents the basic form) that we take into zBrush or Mudbox and use for the high-res sculpt (this is where the character is sculpted and textured to completion)...we generate the normal maps and hi-res details from this sculpt. Then we step down to lower subdiv from the high res sculpt, take that into maya and retopologize the new mesh, which is what goes in game and what we call the arbitrary mesh. This mesh gets the hi-res normal maps and textures sampled onto it and its more optimized, has more tris to terminate things and has better looping/topology for animation. So basically there is 2 meshes of different topology in the pipeline, the hi-res sculpt and the arbitrary mesh... we have to maintain both these sculpts, so making changes can be tough...if we want to modifiy something big on the arbitrary and preserve a pipeline that we can go back and forth with the hi-res, we'll need to make the same changes to the hi-res and vica-versa.

Hope this clears it up!
Judd

01 January 2009
Originally Posted by loked: its a pretty common technique, that people may call something different, but basically for us, we create a clean "quadded" mesh (represents the basic form) that we take into zBrush or Mudbox and use for the high-res sculpt (this is where the character is sculpted and textured to completion)...we generate the normal maps and hi-res details from this sculpt. Then we step down to lower subdiv from the high res sculpt, take that into maya and retopologize the new mesh, which is what goes in game and what we call the arbitrary mesh. This mesh gets the hi-res normal maps and textures sampled onto it and its more optimized, has more tris to terminate things and has better looping/topology for animation. So basically there is 2 meshes of different topology in the pipeline, the hi-res sculpt and the arbitrary mesh... we have to maintain both these sculpts, so making changes can be tough...if we want to modifiy something big on the arbitrary and preserve a pipeline that we can go back and forth with the hi-res, we'll need to make the same changes to the hi-res and vica-versa.

Hope this clears it up!
Judd

Thats really cool... even though changes may be a pain...

I can see why you guys at Naughty Dog are such masters of your craft

01 January 2009
Originally Posted by loked: its a pretty common technique, that people may call something different, but basically for us, we create a clean "quadded" mesh (represents the basic form) that we take into zBrush or Mudbox and use for the high-res sculpt (this is where the character is sculpted and textured to completion)...we generate the normal maps and hi-res details from this sculpt. Then we step down to lower subdiv from the high res sculpt, take that into maya and retopologize the new mesh, which is what goes in game and what we call the arbitrary mesh. This mesh gets the hi-res normal maps and textures sampled onto it and its more optimized, has more tris to terminate things and has better looping/topology for animation. So basically there is 2 meshes of different topology in the pipeline, the hi-res sculpt and the arbitrary mesh... we have to maintain both these sculpts, so making changes can be tough...if we want to modifiy something big on the arbitrary and preserve a pipeline that we can go back and forth with the hi-res, we'll need to make the same changes to the hi-res and vica-versa.

Hope this clears it up!
Judd

Thank you for the explanation! I guess as long it makes a big difference then arbitrary mesh is the way to go.

01 January 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread