Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
GamerEnrique
portfolio
Yulu Xue
Toronto, Canada

Send a message via MSN to GamerEnrique
ATI or Nvidia

Just thinking to buy a new workstation video card....the one i'm using now is Quadro FX3400...just wondering is FireGL better than Quadro?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
astrodog
portfolio
Firebird
San Francisco, USA

What applications do you plan to use? And how demanding are your workflows. It is not a clear ATI or Nvidia decision. It depends on your application and memory demands.

There is a post on fireuser.com that gives a good summary of how to go about choosing.
  1. Published benchmarks are certainly a good starting place for your own evaluation (e.g. X-bit labs June 2008).
  2. Recommendations from colleagues can also be useful. But make sure they have actually tested the alternatives (i.e. they are not just speaking as a fanboy), that you know what version of driver they tested, and that you understand what their workflow is like relative to your own.
  3. The best benchmark is for you to compare the cards yourself, using your data and your workflows, if possible (you should check the return policy for particular web vendors to make sure you can return a card).

Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
GamerEnrique
portfolio
Yulu Xue
Toronto, Canada

Send a message via MSN to GamerEnrique
i use max and zbrush for modeling, and Photoshop for texturing. thinking to upgrade the cpu to Q9450 as well.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
bunker
Frequenter

Bunker
Houdini / Maya
London, United Kingdom

Nvidia is you use Maya.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
AnimAitor
PRO

portfolio
Aitoru kun
lead animator, rigger
Japan

bunker, any link or info to support your comment?

If you use Maya, ATI all the way (either the Radeon + sofmod or FireGL) at least under this GPU's generation. Here is my proof. 3D Professor also review's other FireGL cards agains NVIDIA Quadros showing Maya's performance being always higher on ATI's cards. They are also cheaper ;D

And no, I'm not an ATI fanboy... I use a Quadro 1700 at work and has a GeForce 6800GT at home.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
danlefeb
Coffee Drinker

portfolio
Dan LeFebvre
metal fiend
USA

Send a message via ICQ to danlefeb Send a message via AIM to danlefeb Send a message via MSN to danlefeb Send a message via Yahoo to danlefeb
For using Maya, I've had no major issues with Quadros in the about seven or eight years I've used them. Had one workstation once with a FireGL (not my choice), and didn't have any major issues with that either. But due to the work I've put Quadros through overall, I would generally lean towards them if given the chance. Just my two cents.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimAitor
bunker, any link or info to support your comment?

If you use Maya, ATI all the way (either the Radeon + sofmod or FireGL) at least under this GPU's generation. Here is my proof. 3D Professor also review's other FireGL cards agains NVIDIA Quadros showing Maya's performance being always higher on ATI's cards. They are also cheaper ;D

And no, I'm not an ATI fanboy... I use a Quadro 1700 at work and has a GeForce 6800GT at home.

ATI does make good cards, but their drivers are hit and miss.
You might not have bumped into any problems, especially if you run a softmodded fireGL, but there are plenty people who do.
On some applications it's worse than others depending from how much they do in the viewport and how they do it.

In general nVIDIA still seems to have better driver releases, or at least not buggered ones more often than ATI does.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
snipa101
they call me tater' salad

student

Send a message via AIM to snipa101
I can't speak to ATI quality, but i work in a research lab for simulation. we use nvidia cards and they deliver the horsepower and quality we typically expect.

lately i have had some issues with the drivers that have been released from nvidia

- Vista drivers for new cards don't support horizontal spanning (we need this for stereo video output). please note that horizontal spanning is different than dual monitor.
- the latest drivers (possibly last 2 versions) seem to have broken my remote desktop abilities for doing winXP to WinXP

- just noticed this(possibly with drivers), anything with a lot of white being rendered in realtime creates a high pitch squeal which is common in monitors and electronics, but seemed more noticeable on driver update

these experiences are from the 8800GTX, 9800GX2 and Geforce 280 cards.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
draco76x
Frequenter

portfolio
draco76x _
Singapore

My Quadro 3400 is giving me problem now, I think it going to spoil, if I install the driver, when I try to adjust the resolution or something, the screen will flicker non stop that I have to
restart my Vista x64, last time it didn't have this problem, so now I didn't access the Nvidia control panel just to "tweak" the resolution using normal Vista control.

But sometime, when I open program, there are some "pixel artifact" left on the screen & took
a few second then goes away or I have to close the program & open it again. And when I watch video file, the film was jerky & the actor already "talk" finish it's line the "action" haven't start, have to closed & open the program & then back to normal.

Is it going to spoil??

I intend to replace it, but due to budget wise, I'm consider of Quadro 570 or FireGL V3600, as they both about the same price & I can use some leftover cash to buy more RAM & made my PC to 8GB as now is 4GB. Thought of giving FireGL a try as I read the review, FireGL seems working well with Maya & score quite high result than Quadro.

It's a hard decision to make...

<>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"MERCY is the Greatest Power.."
~ Draco76x the Great

I'm Draco76x the Greatest Dragon Alive.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
AnimAitor
PRO

portfolio
Aitoru kun
lead animator, rigger
Japan

draco76x, for the budget you have (around $200 if I'm not wrong) I'll forget about getting a Quadro or a FireGL and get a Radeon HD 4850. The reason for that is that the "pro" cards you are looking for are quite old and the 4850 is the latest from ATI (and with the possibility of modding it in a near future to a FireGL as with the previous ATIs.)

I'm sure the Radeon HD will perform even faster than your Quadro 3400 ;D

Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #11
splitpoint
Frequenter
Al Curatolo
Hands On Imaging
Parker, USA

My FireGL v3600 is serving me well, certainly better than the Nvidia 7950 GTKO that I had before and certainly worth the $150 I paid for it.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
draco76x
Frequenter

portfolio
draco76x _
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimAitor
draco76x, for the budget you have (around $200 if I'm not wrong) I'll forget about getting a Quadro or a FireGL and get a Radeon HD 4850. The reason for that is that the "pro" cards you are looking for are quite old and the 4850 is the latest from ATI (and with the possibility of modding it in a near future to a FireGL as with the previous ATIs.)

I'm sure the Radeon HD will perform even faster than your Quadro 3400 ;D

Well, thought of buying Radeon & Softmod but I read & find through the 3dguru.com, there's no softmod Radeon HD4850 to FireGL on Vista x64 but only in WinXP 32bits or WinXP x64.

If really can softmod under Vista x64, I will defintally buy Radeon HD4850, but, too bad, I have to drop the idea & get Quadro unless within these few week, there's a "Miracle".

<>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"MERCY is the Greatest Power.."
~ Draco76x the Great

I'm Draco76x the Greatest Dragon Alive.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread