Building computer for 3D modelling (for 3Ds max)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2008   #1
Building computer for 3D modelling (for 3Ds max)

I am building new computer for 3D modelling. And I came up with this configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q PRO
processor: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600
RAM: GEIL RAM DDR2 VALUE, PC2-6400, 800MHZ CL5, 2 x 2GB
Hard drive: 2 x WESTERN DIGITAL 640GB, SATA 2, 7200 rpm, 16MB (one mirror disk (raid?))
graphic card: GIGABYTE PCI-E ATI RADEON HD4850, 512MB GDDR3, 2x DVI retail
power supply: ATX 520W Corsair HX (CMPSU-520HXEU)
DVD:NEC DVD RW (DL) AD-7200S
case:Chieftec CH-05B-B-OP

I was thinking if it would be better buying processor Q9450. It is more expensive, but it is better than Q6600. And in a test, Q9450 renders in 1/4 less time than Q6600. TEST:http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum...-10-q9450-q6600
(Look for: PovRay 3.7b21 - Chessboard rendering)

For motherboard seller in a shop said to me that ASUS P5Q PRO is not good (isn`t fast enough for processor or something like that; i did not understand what he was saying). He suggested to me GIGABYTE, LGA775, I P35 (GA-EP35-DS3).

RAM I want to buy is hard to get. Which are same good as this one GEIL RAM DDR2 VALUE, PC2-6400, 800MHZ CL5, 2 x 2GB? And also seller was talking something about RAM; that 800MHZ is not enough, so he suggested to me RAM DDR2 2GB PC1066 Kingston.

Also I want to overclock my processor for better performance. Which mainboards are good for this? And I don`t want to add some extra "cooling" (if you understand what I mean).

Old 07 July 2008   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread