Looking for a good tentacle rigging tutorial for 3dsmax...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  06 June 2008
Looking for a good tentacle rigging tutorial for 3dsmax...

Here's my character. Fans of Scud the Disposable Assassin will recognize her right away:



Rigging her up now and looking into different solutions for rigging the two long tentacles on either side. I figured I'd go with the same kind of IK spline solution that I used for the character's spine but I'm concerned that no matter what I do, the tentacles will be hard to manipulate, given the length. I need them to be able to wrap around areas of the body and objects. Ideally, I would even like to be able to put some really fluid motion into them, like this rig here: http://www.luimanimations.com/blog/?p=3 But I realize that might be a bit too advanced. So far, I've been unable to find a tutorial that steps beyond simple IK and FK solutions.

Anything you could offer would be great. I'm an intermediate rigger so a tutorial is ideal, or just talk really slow and use small words.
 
  06 June 2008
Aaron Dabelow has a great tenticle rigging video tutorial. It's about an hour.
http://theonlyaaron.animateharder.com/tutorials.html

I've used this method several times since I found it. In the video he spends a long time wiring objects. You can speed this up by using Rigging Army Knife's Quickwire rollout. (http://www.wahooney.net/)

He provides a script that lets you add list controllers. I modified it slightly to work on on a selection instead of one by one. If you want the modification just let me know.

Also, he spends a lot of time creating sub controls for each link of the tenticle. I saved time by only creating sub controls for the area that needed it.
__________________
Juan Martinez | Blog | Animator
 
  06 June 2008
Originally Posted by martinez: Aaron Dabelow has a great tenticle rigging video tutorial. It's about an hour.
http://theonlyaaron.animateharder.com/tutorials.html

I've used this method several times since I found it. In the video he spends a long time wiring objects. You can speed this up by using Rigging Army Knife's Quickwire rollout. (http://www.wahooney.net/)

He provides a script that lets you add list controllers. I modified it slightly to work on on a selection instead of one by one. If you want the modification just let me know.

Also, he spends a lot of time creating sub controls for each link of the tenticle. I saved time by only creating sub controls for the area that needed it.


Very interesting method. I was surprised not to see bones in there. At first, I thought he was losing something by not using squash and stretch bones... his squash/stretch system doesn't really have a lot of squash... But it looks like you could wire the attribute controls to affect scaling on the gold rings as well, solving that problem.

I can't say for certain now if I'm going to use this exact rig but I think there are a lot of principles in this video I can apply to whatever I end up doing. Thanks, man.

Last edited by Neuropolis : 06 June 2008 at 10:19 PM.
 
  06 June 2008
Can't figure out how to get Quickwire working for me, at least not significantly faster than doing it manually. That's alright though, I had a feeling this was going to be tedious.

Anyway, I really have to thank you for sending that tutorial over. I've been adapting it to a more traditional bones system and so far, all the tests are going great.

That list controller script mod sounds really helpful. Mind sending it over?
 
  06 June 2008
quick idea:

12 bones
3 Ctrls

list controllers of rotation wires that dividing by controls.

example:

ctrl base
wire to the 1st to 5th bone

ctrl mid
wire to the 3rd to 7th bone

ctrl tip
wire to the 6th to last bone


play around it, "maybe" it can be a quick Fk setup...
__________________
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Google+
 
  06 June 2008
Originally Posted by RNThead: quick idea:

12 bones
3 Ctrls

list controllers of rotation wires that dividing by controls.

example:

ctrl base
wire to the 1st to 5th bone

ctrl mid
wire to the 3rd to 7th bone

ctrl tip
wire to the 6th to last bone


play around it, "maybe" it can be a quick Fk setup...


I've ended up doing something very similar to this, but with the squash and stretch attribute shown in the video posted earlier. I haven't gotten to it yet but, also similar to the video, I'm going to wire every bone to the first controller in X, Y, and Z rotation, then on a separate rotation list, every bone following the second controller, and so on. This way, I can curl the entire tentacle with the first controller, then use the second, third, and fourth controllers to create subsequent curves. I have a lot of bones so as you can imagine, this is taking a while. In a perfect world, I could select all the bones at once and wire them to the controllers, but amazingly, I haven't been able to find any scripts on the Internet that would allow me to accomplish this.
 
  06 June 2008
Sure I'll send you the script in the morning, also I'll explain how to use the quick wire.
__________________
Juan Martinez | Blog | Animator
 
  06 June 2008
Originally Posted by martinez: Sure I'll send you the script in the morning, also I'll explain how to use the quick wire.


I uninstalled the whole thing because it was giving me error messages every few minutes. I don't know if they haven't ironed out the bugs for Max 9 or what but as soon as I got rid of it, all my problems went away. I could give it another shot but unless Quickwire can do all my wiring in one go, it's probably not worth the trouble. We'll see though. Thanks for the help.
 
  06 June 2008
Heres the modified script I made, it works on a selection instead of one at a time.

http://www.juantwo.com/post/Rigging...trollersTool.ms

Quickwire does wire everything at once. Also, I use version 1.8 of rigging army knife, 2.0 is buggy for me. Wahooney has a video tutorial on how to use it.

http://www.wahooney.net/download.php?view.30
__________________
Juan Martinez | Blog | Animator
 
  06 June 2008
Originally Posted by martinez: Heres the modified script I made, it works on a selection instead of one at a time.

http://www.juantwo.com/post/Rigging...trollersTool.ms

Quickwire does wire everything at once. Also, I use version 1.8 of rigging army knife, 2.0 is buggy for me. Wahooney has a video tutorial on how to use it.

http://www.wahooney.net/download.php?view.30


Oh, wow. 1.8 just made my life a whole lot easier. For some reason, Quickwire in 2.0 was all different kinds of messed up for me but this works great, and is totally intuitive. Thanks again for all the help, man. I'll post my results up here.
 
  06 June 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.