How to convert Max's transform matrix to Maya's trans. matrix?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2008
Question How to convert Max's transform matrix to Maya's trans. matrix?

Hi there,

EDIT: I figured it out, so, you don't have to answer here, but if you're interested to know, read my second post. Thanks anyways for your attention

I've been recently doing some conversion stuff between Max and Maya and I bumped into a problem I can't seem to solve.

I need to translate (meaning convert) a Max's transform matrix into Maya's. The problem isn't in the matrix itself, I understand that and I'm able to communicate matrices between Max and Maya, the problem is the "Y UP" axis in Maya (or rather the "Z UP" axis in Max). What is the process I need to take in order to "rotate" the world coord sys along the positive X axis before exporting the matrix so that Maya understands it?

Or is it something even more complex than this?

First thing I tried was inverting the matrix from Max and loading it in Maya. It worked, the object was oriented the same in space, however, the X and Z axises were of opposite values (i.e.: not 90deg but -90deg). Is this the way? Or am I completely off the track here?

Thanks a lot in advance, cheers,

- loocas

Last edited by loocas : 05 May 2008 at 12:20 PM.

05 May 2008
Hi loocas,
I'm not completely sure about your needing, since I don't know Maya world coordinate system, but if you want to rotate a matrix in Max about its X axis you can use this:

matrix3 *= rotateXMatrix 90   -- Angle in degrees

I hope this helps

05 May 2008
Thumbs up I figured it out

Originally Posted by SyncViewS: Hi loocas,
I'm not completely sure about your needing, since I don't know Maya world coordinate system, but if you want to rotate a matrix in Max about its X axis you can use this:

matrix3 *= rotateXMatrix 90   -- Angle in degrees

I hope this helps

Nope, it's not the rotation of the matrix actually, I just found the solution, it's the xForm of the matrix.

More concretely it's this forumla (Max to Maya!):

(matrix3 [1,0,0] [0,0,1] [0,-1,0] [0,0,0]) * transform_matrix3 * inverse(matrix3 [1,0,0] [0,0,1] [0,-1,0] [0,0,0])

Anyways, thanks for your help, mate.

05 May 2008
Lightbulb

One last note, I don't know whether that's an issue regarding cameras only, yet, but especially for the cameras, you'll need to preRotateX by negative 90 degrees the input matrix in Max before you convert it to Maya's matrix!

The reason is that Maya's camera has a different default rotation to Max's.

Last edited by loocas : 05 May 2008 at 01:36 PM.

05 May 2008
Thanks for posting Loocas, that's a nice tidy function

You're correct about the camera - it had me stumped for ages on a similar project. It's actually because the local axis is different to standard objects (it looks down its Z axis, not its X axis ... or is it the other way round!? One of them anyway)

More info here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...light=y-up+z-Up

05 May 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread