To be a professional animator

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2008

[font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]..........................[/font]

Last edited by omid605 : 11 November 2008 at 03:47 PM.

05 May 2008
Don't think about the tool. As an animator, you'll take any piece of software they give you, you just need to know how to set/move keys and use the graph editor that's it!

I would say your best tool is OBSERVATION. start observing your life around it, draw from it, take notes, and most of all, give a meaning to what you're observing.

Take everything you can from life. Don't study just animation. Film, theatre, comic books (great for dynamic posing!).

As far as a school, if you can, go for Animation Mentor. It's just the right place at the right time believe me. Everyone there is so passionate you just can't learn how to animate

If the price seems too high, or you want to learn at your own pace, I humbly suggest Jason Ryan

www.jasonryananimation.com

He's a former AM mentor and also a supervisor at Dreamworks now. And he's great! His way to communicate all the concepts is just right and clear. You'll be amazed.

And good luck for your new path, I changed my life after 20 years of dancing and it has been great so far.

Gian

05 May 2008
Quote: Take everything you can from life. Don't study just animation. Film, theatre, comic books (great for dynamic posing!).

Yes. Acting is key. Study acting as it applies to animation as well.

06 June 2008
Thanks for your help.and what is AM? coud u give me a link?

06 June 2008
I believe he is referring to animation mentor, the online animation school.

06 June 2008
Thumbs up

I think for start, you must read books such as "Animators survival kit" or "Illusion of life"...etc
these books teachs 2d animation but are really helpfull and besides there is not a lot of differences between 2d or 3d animation. people in Animation Mentor (Almost everywhere) use this books for learning Animation too!
But for 3d exclusively the books like "Character animation in 3d" or "3ds max 6 Animation" is really good.
Don't forget that beside of good learning sources and observation from real life, Animation simply means "Do Animate"!

Good Luck

06 June 2008
i also would say that the book "animators survival kit" is the book to have. i am still using it after 10 years of animation. and in 3d animation it does not mater wich tool you use. just use one you like, and just do animation. you will learn by doing. nobody became a master overnight. just keep going and if you have the passion for it, thats enough.

06 June 2008
Thumbs up

Thank you,I'll go for those books and I'll practice observing like you said.I wish I had 16000$ to join the AM which is really a great place.but I havn't that kind of money and I have to find cheaper ways to learn!
and I'll be here for more questions

06 June 2008

Last edited by tonyGriggs : 07 July 2008 at 03:02 AM.

06 June 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread