Compiling Plugin Problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2003
Compiling Plugin Problem

I've been starting to read up on the API documentation, but I'm, having a bit of a problem. I've been trying to get the basic Hello World program to compile. I'm using Borland's free compiler, and everytime I try to compile I get an error saying that in MTypes.h, the line that says "enum {false,true};" doesn't work. I can't figure out why the simplest of plugins can't compile. I've tried a couple of compilers, and I keep getting the same message.

Do I perhaps need to use Visual C++ to get it to compile?

Thanks for any help.

05 May 2003
For Windows, my understanding is that you MUST use Visual C++ to compile plug-ins.

-- Mark

05 May 2003
Why would you have to use Visual C++? Shouldn't any compiler essentially do the same thing?

I also could not get it to compile using gcc or g++ in Linux. Any suggestions?

05 May 2003
On the Windows side, the problem with using other compiler systems is library compatibility. Core C++ functions are provided through libraries that are implemented differently for Microsoft and Borland products.

In fact, just using Visual C++ isn't enough... you have to use the SAME VERSION of Visual C++ used to compile the SDK libraries.

As for Linux, there are similar version issues involved. You probably need to compile on a Red Hat 7.2 system with the right library versions to get your plug-in to work, but I'm less certain that that's the same issue there.

-- Mark

05 May 2003
Thanks for the help. I was hoping I could use a free compiler, but oh well.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread