Pouring juice into a glass

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2008
Question Pouring juice into a glass

Hello,

I am new to the whole dynamics thing. I was curious about -What is the most effective way in Maya 8.0 to show juice pouring into a glass?

Thanks

Dan

05 May 2008
Hi Dan,

Believe it or not Maya isnt the best software for pouring liquids, in fact for super realism its awful! You can fake it using blobby particles or you can try with maya fluids both these methods give you 'good' results but nothing that would hold up under scrutiny.

For realistic results there are a bunch of liquid software like Realflow comes to mind. If you are interested in learning to pour liquids, Id recommend learning one of these instead.

05 May 2008
Smile

Originally Posted by Aikiman: Hi Dan,

Believe it or not Maya isnt the best software for pouring liquids, in fact for super realism its awful! You can fake it using blobby particles or you can try with maya fluids both these methods give you 'good' results but nothing that would hold up under scrutiny.

For realistic results there are a bunch of liquid software like Realflow comes to mind. If you are interested in learning to pour liquids, Id recommend learning one of these instead.

Do you work for realflow? I have seen a lot of threads with you talking about how good realflow is. I would eventually like to get a hold of realflow, but the problem is- I dont have any extra money to get realflow, so I have to work with what I have which is Maya 8 complete. Do you have any advice or know of any tutorials on using maya to get the good results?

Thanks

05 May 2008
realflow is really good. use the personal learning edition.

it allows you to export your files into maya so you can then render it out, or play around a bit more with it.

i use realflow for all my liquid.
but just because its good, doesnt mean its easy. im not trying to discourage you from using it. if anything I encouraging you to get it and work with it. there are alot of free tutorials on digitaltutors that talk about realflow, from pouring water into glass, to rendering it out in maya.

05 May 2008
Originally Posted by quickdrawdan: Do you work for realflow? I have seen a lot of threads with you talking about how good realflow is. I would eventually like to get a hold of realflow, but the problem is- I dont have any extra money to get realflow, so I have to work with what I have which is Maya 8 complete. Do you have any advice or know of any tutorials on using maya to get the good results?

Thanks

No I dont. I just like sharing information that gets me excited about visual effects. Try and google stuff on blobby particles in maya, that should get you started.

05 May 2008
Originally Posted by quickdrawdan: ...so I have to work with what I have which is Maya 8 complete. Do you have any advice or know of any tutorials on using maya to get the good results?
Thanks

i am sorry to tell you: like that you wont be able getting a reasonable good result without breaking your arms.
for certain tasks you need certain tools. and pooring liquid in maya 8 complete is not a matching toolset.

cheers

alex

05 May 2008
I agree with the replies. Realflow is a very popular alternative. Some people got decent results with a maya plugin named glu3d (I believe)... Houdini also supports fluid sims. If you are constrained to maya, the glu 3d plugin might help... here are a couple of links.

http://3daliens.com/glu3D/index.htm

Also, check out this novel approach by Duncan. He uses nCloth for this sim. In reality, maya particles do not "pile up" so you'd need to think about your project. Are you going for a realistic look? Filling a glass requires particles to be aware of each other and "pile up" You could accomplish this with maya fluids, where you drive maya particles with your fluid sim... but all those are rather poor alternatives to something like realflow.

Here's Duncan: http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/...r_tank_example/

Good luck.

05 May 2008
Originally Posted by Aikiman: No I dont. I just like sharing information that gets me excited about visual effects. Try and google stuff on blobby particles in maya, that should get you started.

hahaha.. Get him started on how liquids are NOT supposed to look, ..Like clumps of lumpy oatmeal.

my highend3D scripts
my photography

05 May 2008
Originally Posted by azshall: hahaha.. Get him started on how liquids are NOT supposed to look, ..Like clumps of lumpy oatmeal.

^^ best description of that look i ever read

btw: is nCloth available in maya complete?

no matter what you do: the key to a good looking fluid is the mesh that is built AFTER the simulation is done.
if you dont have any special software that cares about the meshing, your result will always look like the above mentioned breakfast.
that is very well visible on duncans approach. nice movement but lousy meshing

cheers

bigal

Last edited by alexx : 05 May 2008 at 07:37 AM.

05 May 2008
glu3d will do...but realfow is still the best

05 May 2008
Hey I found a thread where I dont mention Realflow at all but explain how to setup clumps of lumpy oatmeal really well....I mean blobbies.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=86&t=313157

(see I knew Id tried it before)

05 May 2008
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by Aikiman: Hey I found a thread where I dont mention Realflow at all but explain how to setup clumps of lumpy oatmeal really well....I mean blobbies.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=86&t=313157

(see I knew Id tried it before)

Hey I appreciate the response. I actually did end up downloading the personal learning edition of RealFlow, the only problem I am having is I can't find the plug-ins for maya.

If you know where I can find these I would appreciate it.

If not, thanks again!

05 May 2008
its on the page where you download the ple version, it should say on the side "plugins"

here is a link

realflow plugins

05 May 2008
Thumbs up

Hey everybody thanks for all the tips. I ended up using Realflow and i really do like it.

I have the particles and meshes reimported into Maya. Do ya'll have any suggestions/tutorials on getting the render of the particles to look realisitc?

Thanks

05 May 2008
As far as I know you just import the mesh without the particles and add a watery shader to it like the dialetric material in MR. If you need help on learning how to use the dialetric or create a Maya software shader there's no doubt a ton of stuff in the rendering section.

The main thing about water is that it becomes more reflective as your facing angle gets smaller, I believe the MR shaders do this automatically.

Last edited by Aikiman : 05 May 2008 at 08:47 PM.

Thread Closed share thread