RenderMask helper tool

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #1
RenderMask helper tool

Hi,

Here's a quick little helper tool for rendering out selected portions of an image to patch over errors found in an original image without the need to re-render out the entire scene. This is an Xpresso controlled variation / continuation of Anders Kjellbergs original idea with some COFFEE help from Tobias Pfob.
This isn't the most elegant solution but it gets the job done.

Application:
1) Make the RenderMask a child of the desired camera.
2) Perform a "Center to Parent" command
3) Select the RenderMask and play around with the sliders and settings to interactively mask out a desired area.
4) Render out (avoid rendering over the original)
5) Patch over the original in PhotoShop.

Enjoy / Alex

Old 04 April 2008   #2
Thanks for posting this Alex.

I've made a few tweaks that I figured I'd share.

It will now automatically align to the current render camera, it will use the resolution from the active render settings, and the parameters (mask size, mask position, distance) are specified as percentages.

-Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip RenderMask.zip (12.6 KB, 118 views)

Old 04 April 2008   #3
Thanks to both of you, this has gone straight into my object library, great stuff.

C

Originally Posted by chris_m: Thanks for posting this Alex.

I've made a few tweaks that I figured I'd share.

It will now automatically align to the current render camera, it will use the resolution from the active render settings, and the parameters (mask size, mask position, distance) are specified as percentages.

-Chris

Old 04 April 2008   #4
tnx to both of you, great stuff indeed.

Old 04 April 2008   #5
Thanks, Alex and Chris. A great time saver.

Old 04 April 2008   #6
brilliant.

Is there a way to subvert this into a custom safe area field, with a semi-opaque mask zone?

That would be super handy, because I often work with locked off camera shota, with internal areas that will have type/flyouts in pist that I'd like to be able to reference when blocking the cam.

While I can use background guides - it's obviousy of limited use - and foregorund guides only appear in renders.

thanks for this, and any thoughts you have on my humble request.

Old 04 April 2008   #7
Hey, awesome tweaks and improvements Chris!
Thanks for improving my train wreck and making it more user friendly.

I really dig the auto-lock to currently used camera feature. Anything that ends up saving a second or two of time always goes into my Object Library.

Cheers Alex

Old 04 April 2008   #8
Opacity

Hello, thanks for the tool at first.

Originally Posted by Blabberlicious: brilliant.

Is there a way to subvert this into a custom safe area field, with a semi-opaque mask zone?

You can make it temporarily semi-opaque by assigning semi-opaque material to the boolean object.

But it would be also possible to make a rectangle instead of the boole object to see both rendered and not rendered objects. I cant unfortunately work with xpresso, but may be it doesn´t have to be so difficult.

Old 04 April 2008   #9
Thankyou both for this tool, was doing this manually with a plane with a hole cut out of it.

Not sure if it is a bug or something I don't understand, but with Chris' version, the mask cube is locked to 0,0,0 size no matter where I move the sliders, and it also doesn't automatically lock to the render camera...

In any case, thanks for your work guys.

Old 04 April 2008   #10
Originally Posted by asarya: Not sure if it is a bug or something I don't understand, but with Chris' version, the mask cube is locked to 0,0,0 size no matter where I move the sliders, and it also doesn't automatically lock to the render camera...

What version are you running? I saved the scene in 10.1.

Old 04 April 2008   #11
this is GREAT! thanks guys for sharing... you do not realize how much time is spent doing this manually until you pop this helper into your scene, real helpful.
Cheers,
D

Old 04 April 2008   #12
thanks a'lot!!

Old 04 April 2008   #13
Thanks guys! this will help me ALOT!

You rock!
-Jim

Old 04 April 2008   #14
Originally Posted by chris_m: What version are you running? I saved the scene in 10.1.

Chris, the version is 10.102

Old 04 April 2008   #15
Ok, that may be the problem... I saved mine in 10.111, which is a free upgrade.

Thread Closed share thread