Problem with waxy skin...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #1
Problem with waxy skin...

Admittedly, I'm a n00b in the realm of digital painting (or any painting for that matter). I've done several 'realism' paintings, but the skin always winds up looking horribly waxy. I don't know if it's the technique I use, or the pallette, or just not using the right brushes, but it's driving me nuts! The problem isn't the face so much as large expanses of exposed skin. Please help!

Examples:

Old 04 April 2008   #2
Your problem appears to be caused by two issues:

1) Your brushwork/rendering skill isn't quite there. Regardless of whether an artist renders loosely or tightly, the brushwork has to have a sense of naturalness and confidence. Right now you are still trying to figure out how to get it to look natural.

2) Your understanding of how skin reflects light is still not advanced enough. You should look at more references and observe people in real life, not simply basing your image on one particular photo reference. Skin can be very reflective at times, and you need to know where those reflective angles are in your image. Also, different areas of the skin have different levels of oil or moisture (nose, forehead, lips), and different areas have the skin pulled tighter or looser (clavicles, elbows, thighs, knees...etc). Skin can also have varying amount of roughness/texture (knuckles, elbows, knees, pores on face...etc)

Old 04 April 2008   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread