Serene night interior, Hristo Velev (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #1
Serene night interior, Hristo Velev (3D)

Title: Serene night interior
Name: Hristo Velev
Software: 3ds max, mental ray

Hi, I created this one after a scene in an expired challenge I found at cgarchitect.com. It's for my forming interior renderings portfolio. I tried to create interesting, dynamic, but serene lighting design. Composed in Max, rendered with mental ray.

Old 04 April 2008   #2
great work man.. I really like the lighting..

Old 04 April 2008   #3
Very nice!

Could you go into a little detail of how you set your lighting up?

Old 04 April 2008   #4
Thanks It was quite easy in fact. I used some area photometrics for the hidden lighting, adjusted them until I liked them. Then I opened up my Erco catalogue, which they kindly provide for free, choose the lgihts that fit my concept, and position them. I played with directing the lights until I liked the design. Then rendered with mr photographic exp control, my workflow is also gamma corrected (2.2).

Old 04 April 2008   #5
Originally Posted by Glacierise: Thanks It was quite easy in fact. I used some area photometrics for the hidden lighting, adjusted them until I liked them. Then I opened up my Erco catalogue, which they kindly provide for free, choose the lgihts that fit my concept, and position them. I played with directing the lights until I liked the design. Then rendered with mr photographic exp control, my workflow is also gamma corrected (2.2).

Thanks for the insight. One question if I may ask, are you using GI at all, or is it all FG?

Old 04 April 2008   #6
In fact, in this scene it's all GI!. If you can saturate the space with photons, you don't really need FG, but this is not too common. For interiors you don't need expensive FG. Even if you have very dynamic scenes, with a lot of occluding geometry, I find best to have a good photon solution, with a lot of bounces, and use FG to fill the small places - and you don't need FG bounces for that. So 0 bounces, maybe 1.5-2 density , and 200 rays, of even 100 if it's a night shot, meaning less dynamic.

Old 04 April 2008   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread