Burnadette (Nudity)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #1
Bernadette (Nudity)

This is a character I'm currently working on in Flash. Any critiques would be appreciated.

Last edited by shamarfolus : 04 April 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Old 04 April 2008   #2
The torso anatomy is pretty wonky.

Old 04 April 2008   #3
I think I know what you mean. Is this better?

Old 04 April 2008   #4
Yes and no. Yes, it does not look quite so long, but no, it's still wonky. Backs are straight, since the spinal cord runs down them. They don't bend inwards from the shoulder like a folded piece of paper with such an extreme dip in the middle. But that's just me. I like even my stylizations to follow a modicum of reality, animé or not.

~Cyber

Old 04 April 2008   #5
Ah. So you prefer something more like this.

Old 04 April 2008   #6
Hey there. No offense whatsoever intended to either you shamarfolus, or you CyberGfx, but I can't help but get the impression that with your latest update, you changed it to get the approval of CyberGfx, not necessarily because you believe his opinon to be correct, as you said "Ah. So you prefer something more like this."

I'm sure CyberGfx will agree with me on this - critiques are, as the term suggests, constructive criticism. However, they are also personal opinion, and it's up to you, the artist, to decide whether the critique is valid or not.

Personally, I agree with Cyber on this one. The way you had the back before was way too curved in my opinion... But, with your latest update, it seems as though now the back is not curved enough. This may be something to do with how the front of her torso is shaped (looks wonky to me, but I apologize, I can't put my finger on exactly what is out of place), but the way her back is now, she seems to be rather 'box shaped' around the stomach/torso area.

From what I know of anatomy, spines are straight, as in, they do not curve side to side whatsoever (unless you have scoliosis, which is an entirely different matter). However, the spine is S shaped to support the body. It curves outwards slightly from the neck to the middle vertebrae, then gradually curves inward at the lower back, then out again at the tailbone.

Hopefully that helps you to see what I mean, and might help to clarify what Cyber meant in his latest post.

Anyway, as I was saying earlier: People can give as much input as they want as to what they believe will improve a piece of artwork. However, it is all personal opinion. If you are honestly happy with how her torso is in the second image, keep it that way. If you're not though, and wish to improve upon it, then hopefully our advice will assist you. And please do not change something you honestly think is correct, merely because someone suggests it. It's your work after all.

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted what you said, and for the long rant. I thought it needed to be said at any rate.

Old 04 April 2008   #7
Thank you Landri. The last update I made was to try and understand what CyberGfx meant. I didn't plan on actually keeping it like this, although somwhere inbetween the second post and the third would probably look quite nice. I like the second one I posted best. Thanks to CyberGfx I realized that the torso was too long.

It is very stylized and cartoony and that's ok with me. It's true that it is all an opinion, but that's what I'm interested in. So all feedback is appreciated.

Old 04 April 2008   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread