Special Military Soldier (beware 56k!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #1
Special Military Soldier (beware 56k!)

I started this at the beginning of last month.
My plan for this was to try and go through the pipeline thoroughly and try to get an idea of what's involved. I lucked out I had a lot of time to work on this aside from my classes.
i finished it finally and I learned a lot!

I want to share this with my fellow game artists and get some feed back.

any crits is great. I learned a whole lot, but I know I may have missed a mistake here and there. I need to make more and if you guys see any let me know. Making mistakes is how I learn.

Old 04 April 2008   #2
I'd say you could lose quite a few of those edgeloops on the head.

Old 04 April 2008   #3
There are too many loops around the head ! also ,you need better optimise it for a game (games use tri's which means that you don't need to keep everything in quads) !

Old 04 April 2008   #4
Originally Posted by CodeVeroby: There are too many loops around the head ! also ,you need better optimise it for a game (games use tri's which means that you don't need to keep everything in quads) !

No that's not true, quads are always better.

I like your model. It might not make CG Choice, but it's still a good learning attempt and i think technically everything seems well done. You have good geometry, and i don't see any issues with mapping.

A couple of things do bug me though.

First, the figure has some anatomical problems, especially around the hips. A soldier is likely to be muscular so go here http://www.classicbodybuilders.com/ and get some better references for designing the body. I would make his thighs fuller, and also provide him with a larger pelvic bone. If he is a male model there should not be a gap between his thighs. This is a feature only women have because their pelvic opening is wider to allow for childbirth.

Second, the model is painfully symmetrical. It totally looks like you just copied and pasted one half over to complete the whole thing. Add some elements to make teh sides unique, or even better, something irregular that spans from one side to the other.

Old 04 April 2008   #5
Originally Posted by ArtsyFartsy: No that's not true, quads are always better.

While quads are generally better, they get converted to tris in the game engine. That means you can use tris where they are needed in the model in order to save on the polycount. For example, you can end an edge loop in a triangle instead of a diamond quad because it is more effecient. You want the model to be mostly quads, and have good edge loops, but you should also use tris where they are needed to make a more effecient model.

To the OP: You have a lot of unneeded polys in the model. If it isn't needed for the silhouette, proper deformation, or uv layout, it is just wasting polys. I don't know what your polycount is, but you can probably do it in 4-5k tris.

Last edited by PredatorGSR : 04 April 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Old 04 April 2008   #6
I heard keep it quads so that later you have a quaded model and the engine will triangulate everything! But there are some triangles in there in places out of sight so don't worry. The overall count was 13k. I read in ballistic that main characters were around 15k which is where I set my standard.

But it's funny later on I read that Altiar is abour 6k and I was floored. So, It was difficult to optimize I was already midway. But my next couple of models will be around 8k. Average.

The overall symmetry is exactly the same, I'll definitely think of some ideas to fix that. I might have to set up something with the maps because I used a half body UV to cover the full body uv to keep it nice and snug on all the maps I used.

But that might be something I'll plan ahead for with my next model.

He's skinny! That's because I wanted him to look agile. The head! oh geez I know. Tell me about it. Even now, before coming to cgtalk to check the thread I was taking some loops out!

Old 04 April 2008   #7
looks like a good start but...

The proportions seem a bit off:
- His shoulders are very wide yet his chest is very small. This gives him huge unnatural looking armpits.

- His hips seem to be very rectangular but should be more like a downwards pointing triangle.

Old 04 April 2008   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread