CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Maxon Cinema 4D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
hanymal
Donal Hanafin
London, United Kingdom

blurred uvw textures

Hello all,
I've just started playing with bodypaint and unwrappping uvws for texture maps. I feel there's a lot of potential to use it but I seem to get very blurred results when I apply the textures. I figure it's because I generate a 2k uv texture map, fill the polygons then texture it in photoshop. Each polygon is only a couple of hundred pixels wide so all my textures are scaled down in photoshop and then scaled back up when I render. Is there any way to get around this issue? If I apply the same texture as a separate file with something like cubic mapping I get crisper results but the textures repeat. So in other words I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. Has anybody got any tips for making uvw textures or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Donal

Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

You need to learn how to UV properly, a texture of 100 pixels is going to look blurry on a large piece of geometry. Bodypaint comes with some tutorials on how to unwrap geometry efficiently, and after that you'll have to decide how high a resolution you want to use for your texture, it could be any resolution, or how you're going to map the object (and how many materials to use). Another factor in texture blurring is the use of MIP/SAT mapping which is there to help with animation and avoiding moire artifacts when rendering, you can remove this mapping and choose one of the other mapping options in the material slot where the bitmap texture is to try and get a sharper result, however it will always be limited by the area of the polygons.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
hanymal
Donal Hanafin
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice, looks like it's off to cineversity to do some body paint tutorials with me.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread