Maya 5 MentalRay Crashes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2003
Maya 5 MentalRay Crashes

Everytime I render certain scenes mental ray crashes, I tried to render it on my friends computers and it crashes on his too. can"t figure out why. Need Help

05 May 2003
try to the find the item(s) in your scene that causes mental-ray to crash - that's the best advice i can give you

i had a similar problem and in the end after removing bit by bit from my scene i was left with a few trimmed nurbs surfaces that caused MRfM 1.5 to crash

05 May 2003
What's the scene? What sort of things are in it?

Maya 5 has crashed once on me when I tested rendering lots of cloud particles using Mental Ray.

Maya, 3Delight, mentalray, Maxwell Render, ZBrush
Photoshop, Fusion, Vegas Pro, Syntheyes

05 May 2003
yah, 5.0 has got some bugs... expect a 5.1 update (it might actually be 5.0.1, but that sounds so miniscule, and there are some BIG problems)

05 May 2003
What problems have you found Gremlin?

Mine seems to sometimes leave 'interface residue' on the desktop when I minimize. And if you click on the desktop a marking menu comes up!

05 May 2003
My scene is a poly model of a head with layered textures. I think it's the textures or something, or the UV sets. I took off the textures but it still crashes. This stinks, If a update doesn't come out soon I might have to go back to 4.5, Has anyone heard of a update comming out soon.

05 May 2003
Jozvex,
I think I had a particles problem earlier, but for me, I really havent had many problems, but by some of the problems posted by others, it sounds like it needs serious work?

wait...what are you doing jozvex?! work on those damn tutorials damnit, I want them by the weekend!! (Im still competiting for most posts with you!)
Cheers,

05 May 2003
Beat me you shan't!!

Was the head originally SubD?? Can you post the scene file?

05 May 2003
The head was always a poly

05 May 2003
Ok.

Hmmm, I really can't think of anything else.

Could you post a scene file that crashes for us to look at? You don't have to give us your whole scene if you're worried about people using your work.

05 May 2003
Interesting, Mental Ray just dissappeared from my renderer pull down menu, dont even know wtf happened. I looked in the plugin manager, and kinda fooled around. Kinda screwy how Mental Ray renderer is called like mayatomr (maya to mental ray?) I was lookin' for MentalRay.mll or MR_render.mll ya know... not something that sounded like an exporting plugin from maya to mirai
Cheers,

05 May 2003
A little off the topic but, You have mirai? How is it? Is it good for texture painting?

05 May 2003
Doody read the release notes for MR under your maya docs.

There it lists what MR is currently not supporting and all the known bugs and workarounds.

05 May 2003
Yea but the scenes I rendered in 4.5 with Mental Ray won't render in 5.0's Mental Ray

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread