High Def backdrop question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2008
High Def backdrop question

I have a quick question for you all. So if you are working on a movie that might go any of three places, theater, broadcast or dvd depending on if it's picked up or not, and you have a ton of high definition animated backdrops for your movie (my movie by the way I am rendering at 1920 x 1080 - and the backdrops are also 1920x1080) which of course is very convenient to use and really speeds things up as for the development of the movie (I don't have to make my own backgrounds which would be rather time consumming), my question is, if you use the hd backgrounds for behind your models/animations and say later they do want it for cinema, I could of course re-render out my models and animation bigger if need be, but I couldn't make those backdrops any bigger - would this be a problem? Firstly I don't even know if I would have to re-render for cinema (if it's picked up) and second if so would the backdrops hold up at 1920x1080? They are made by professionals... thank you for any input you may have. Gina`

04 April 2008
That's a good question. I'm kind of curious myself now. You might have more luck posting in the Digital Matte Painting forum though.

04 April 2008
In general, cinema (film) images from digital sources are 4K renders or above. That's 4,000 pixels in one dimension. A lot of smaller effects houses render at lower resolutions, some as low as 2K, because the render times are astronomically shorter. However, any time that you upres anything without agressive interpolation, you are likely to see artifacting, aliasing, etc.

You have a couple of things that might help you out. Really good, well crafted backgrounds will hold together better than backgrounds that are just thrown together. If you are rendering your piece, and that render is done using similar lighting sources, you're less likely to see aliasing, except in areas of high-contrast.

Overall though, unless you are sure that it is going to film, I would stick with 1080p resolution as a good standard. If you want to render out a frame of the characters / foreground elements and the backgrounds at 3 times 1080p resolution, you will probably get a pretty good approximation of what you'll see. If it looks good, you're pretty much set.

Keep in mind what TV commercials look like on the big screen before a movie though

04 April 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread