Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Vikram Mulligan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #1
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Vikram Mulligan

Vikram Mulligan is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Uplift
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

Old 03 March 2008   #2
Concept / pre-visualization: Trying out Softimage XSI

This is a quick concept sketch done as I taught myself to use the free version of XSI that Softimage is providing for the contest. I was pretty impressed with the software: it's quite a bit easier to use than I thought it would be, and very responsive, too.

The background was an old image made with Apophysis some time ago. I blurred it and stuck it behind the whatever-it-is in the foreground.
Eon animation and still.

Old 03 March 2008   #3
The whatever-it-is actually looks kinda cool... Could it be some sort of mushroomy-alien? A "neomushroom"?

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

Old 03 March 2008   #4
I looks like a whale tail in a way. Nice start!

Old 03 March 2008   #5
Ah, good ol' Apophysis. I swear I've spent way to many hours dinking around in that program...

Old 03 March 2008   #6
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, even though it was just a random doodle to teach myself Softimage XSI, I do kind of like the look of the whatever-it-is. I might use a similar texture in the finished piece.

As for Apophysis, I just picked it up a month or two ago, but I've come to like it quite a bit. For those who don't know, it's a freeware fractal flame generator that's quite nifty. Defnitely worth checking out.
Eon animation and still.

Old 03 March 2008   #7
Concept / pre-visualization: Considering options

Just considering my options, here, and teaching myself a few XSI techniques in the process... I'm wondering whether I want to do a furry alien or a fleshy alien...
Eon animation and still.

Last edited by vmulligan : 03 March 2008 at 02:57 AM.

Old 03 March 2008   #8
What ever you decide to do you have great lighting skills. Bravo!

Old 03 March 2008   #9
Originally Posted by sasquatch70: What ever you decide to do you have great lighting skills. Bravo!

Thanks, but I wasn't really trying for much with the lighting in the last two posts. In both cases, I'm using just a single distant light. Still, I'll take compliments where I can get 'em . So -- thanks!
Eon animation and still.

Old 03 March 2008   #10
Furry! Furry! Furry! Well seriously, why don't you do both?

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

Old 03 March 2008   #11
Originally Posted by GaeasHerald: Well seriously, why don't you do both?

There's a thought. I was considering that, but the trouble is that it would be hard to make that look natural. Imagine a salamander with tufts of hair -- it just doesn't seem right. Still, the object is to make something alien-looking, so maybe the strangeness of it would work in my favour.
Eon animation and still.

Old 03 March 2008   #12
Brainstorming

A few ideas for my piece:

--An alien creature with a strange body but expressive, mournful eyes in a human zoo. Rowdy kids are pressed against the glass of its enclosure, gawking and making noise. I'd go for the sad, noble expression of gorillas in zoos. If we can't recognize sentience on our own planet, it's hard to imagine how we'll treat sentient extraterrestrials... The downside of this would be the complexity of the scene -- especially the kids. I'm not sure I could pull it off.

--A simple scene showing a human hand clasping an alien appendage in friendship. If at least one of our species had the technology to bridge the stars, the consequences of not meeting in friendship would be too devastating to contemplate... I like the simplicity of this idea; I could focus on modelling, texturing, and lighting two objects (the hand and the alien appendage).

--An alien creature kneeling or bowing in chains, submitting to a human conquerer. Considering our species' long history of enslaving its own members, I don't trust us to treat aliens as equals.

I'll do some sketches soon and post whatever I produce.
Eon animation and still.

Old 03 March 2008   #13
Whoops -- duplicate post.
Eon animation and still.

Last edited by vmulligan : 03 March 2008 at 12:45 AM.

Old 03 March 2008   #14
I really like all three of your ideas, the zoo, the hands and the slave ideas. The slavery one sounds like a good unique twist - usually the aliens enslave the humans! The zoo one does sound complex, especially if in 3d but would be a strong image. The hand one would probably be my favourite - I can imagine a close up of just the hands, I think that would be a really simple and effective way of showing interaction, and could be a very powerful image!

Your experiments are looking great, looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Best of luck to you

Old 03 March 2008   #15
Originally Posted by nethken: I really like all three of your ideas, the zoo, the hands and the slave ideas. The slavery one sounds like a good unique twist - usually the aliens enslave the humans! The zoo one does sound complex, especially if in 3d but would be a strong image. The hand one would probably be my favourite - I can imagine a close up of just the hands, I think that would be a really simple and effective way of showing interaction, and could be a very powerful image!

Your experiments are looking great, looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Best of luck to you

Thanks a lot, Kenneth. I'm thinking I like the hand idea the best, too. It's also the most achievable in the time I have, and I've found with these contests that it's important not to be too ambitious. I'll post some sketches soon.
Eon animation and still.

Thread Closed share thread