"Astoria" new painting with workflow details.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2008
"Astoria" new painting with workflow details.

By making this matte painting my firs goal was to concentrate on charisma of the scene, second goal was to create objects from painted textures, all objects except sculpture, were created by using texturing method, plus I want to know how much time it will all take. It took me exactly 142 hours of working time, using Photoshop and Wacom tablet 12x6.
To create this scene I was inspired by pictures that I took in New York in July 2007, I using wide lens Sigma 10-20 with Nikon D80. I was always impressed by look of Manhattan during 1920-30, it's contrast in the city at that time. Time when most of old, small, even slam buildings starting to be demolished, making space for new Art Deco style structures like Astoria. I was always fascinated by how New York's buildings appear on photographs, sometimes perspective seems completely odd and wired, if you want to see their crown you will never see streets, building seems close but it's actually very faraway wrapped in blue tint, with strange angles. This is exactly what I tried to project by doing this painting.
Critiques and questions wanted.

Short Breakdown

Last edited by EdwardGrad : 02 February 2008 at 02:40 AM.

02 February 2008
Smile

this is really good

02 February 2008
I think your process was very interesting, and the final result is stunning! My only gripe is that in all your renders and thumbs you show the top of that tallest center building, and then in the final it is cropped? Since they eye follows that building upwards, it would be a nice reward to see it completly. Anyway, good job.

02 February 2008
Good point Rabid1, I do think too, that full size building seems better. Take a look on upgrated version.

02 February 2008
looks good

02 February 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread